Can't miss snorkel

Travel discussion for St. John
AboutToGoCoastal

Can't miss snorkel

Post by AboutToGoCoastal »

My wife and I will be making our 5th trip to STJ soon and I was wondering what which beaches we HAVE to snorkel this trip. We would like to try something new and don't mind having to hike to get there.

We have done:
Salomon/ Honeymoon
Denis
Cinnamon
Francis
Maho
Waterlemon
Salt Pond
Jumbie

I've heard good things about Brown Bay and North Haulover and was thinking about trying them this time. Thank you.
jerseygirl062

Re: Can't miss snorkel

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Definitely try Brown Bay and North Haulover. Just be aware that the conditions can be rough - best on a calm day unless you're a really strong swimmer. Even if rough you will have had a nice hike to Brown Bay and will likely have the beach to yourself. If North Haulover is too rough just do South Haulover on the other side of the road - a nice snorkel in itself . Go around the Rocky point to the left - also lots of pretty juveniles in the shallows right off the beach.

I also like the Yawzi Point snorkel. East entry from a little cove to the left partway up the trail.

Have fun !
AboutToGoCoastal

How long should it take to get from the Annaberg parking lot to Brown Bay?
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Agree - definitely North Haulover - amazing corals, did it for our first time this past June on a very calm day. Would also add Haulover South, and Great and Little Lameshur bays to the list. And honestly, we find the snorkeling at Gallows Point fantastic..... we stay there and often do a snorkel towards the end of the day after returning from beaches. Have seen all kinds of great stuff (octopus, spotted eagle ray, moray or spotted eels (can't recall which), nurse sharks, "Frank" the barracuda that hangs out under the swim platform, etc.and the rock formations and drop offs are cool. Head to the right towards Cruz Bay, and then to the left towards Frank Bay. Also on the left of Frank Bay out to the point is nice (not beyond due to currents and boat traffic). Nothing but sand and cables in the middle of Frank Bay. If you are not staying at Gallows, then enter via Frank bay (careful of sea urchins), and then head left and right. Dreaming of it now instead of thinking about snow and shoveling tomorrow!
Image[/url]
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

We go to Brown Bay a different way - instead of Annanberg we drive into Coral Bay and head straight past skinny legs, past Estate Zootenval and just past this you drive over a concrete bridge and then make a left onto the dirt road. Just in the road goes left to a shooting range and you can park here and follow the Brown Bay trail to the right. There is a National Park sign showing the way. Takes about 30 minutes to the beach.
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

On our last trip we had a fantastic snorkel around the point on the west side of Peter Bay. We started off at Cinnamon, took a break on the beach at Little Cinnamon, then continued on. We came ashore again on the east side of Peter Bay. walked the beach to the west side, then snorkled out. There is a lovely reef all along that west side of the bay and out around the point. You've got to be careful though, I followed a fish over teh top of part of the reef, then decided it was getting too shallow and had a bit of a panic finding my way back out without touching the coral. But calming myself I found the deep spot and eased on out again. Whew! and Wow!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Gibney from in front of the building to Angel's Chair.
AboutToGoCoastal

Gibney/oppenheimer to mermaid's chair/angel's chair is on my list of snorkels I would like to try.

I will probably take your advice and go to Brown Bay from Coral Bay instead. I was considering headed there from Waterlemon because on the way to Brown Bay is my favorite spot on the island. On the hill above Waterlemon is the prettiest view I've ever seen. I want to take a panorama picture from up there and hang it on my wall at home.
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Mermaids chair is on St Thomas I do believe.
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

WHat/where is Angels chair?

One of my favorite snorkels is on the east end. I'm not sure of the name, maybe Lime tree cove. Snorkel out to the left. In the center there is almost always turtles.