De Coal Pot

Travel discussion for St. John
gibber161

De Coal Pot

Post by gibber161 »

Where exactly is this restaurant located? Has anyone eaten there?
jwwj

Re: De Coal Pot

Post by jwwj »

Next to Lime Inn. Had dinner there earlier this month and loved it! Best roti i've ever had. Very casual, enjoyed talking with the owners and everything we had was great. Will definitely go back. Also very inexpensive! Highly recommend!
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

I second the motion. We had a very nice, rich and flavorful oxtail stew and curry chicken there. Norma and I-us (Glycerious) run De Coal Pot; we met them while picnicking at the Maho pavilion, and made it a point to try out their restaurant the next day. They serve complete West Indian meals with large portions and good pricing, definitely worth stopping by.

All the best,

Kevin
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

My husband and I ate there last night. We both had the chicken roti, nice flavor, I've never had roti before, the chicken still has the bones on it inside of a thin cornmeal wrap, with chunks of potato, and a spicy curry sauce. We had to look around for the restaurant, it's on the one way street that runs parallel with King st., like Kevin said, right next to lime in. The roti was 16.95, came with a little side salad.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

mls10

Post by mls10 »

We have been there twice. The food is very good and I think it is the only place on the island that you can get whelk.
We have had the conch, the whelk, and the goat-all of which were very good. Sides were good and plentiful.
The space is loud and claustrophobic when crowded, but it is air conditioned.
I find the restaurant a direct competitor of Sogo's with the latter having better sides and conch. De Coal Pot had a better drink menu, but Sogo's has the best homemade ginger beer.
I had met the owner-chef, Norma, at Pine Peace Market; I helped her with a box of fruit juice for the restaurant. On our first visit Norma was at the door as she often is, welcoming guests. She had her grand-daughter sitting with her. I asked the grand-daughter kiddingly if her grandmother really did any of the work around the place. She, 9 years old, replied Norma "put the love in the food." Priceless!
A nice addition to Cruz Bay.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We considered stopping, but we already knew we loved Sogo's, so no need to try something new. It's peaceful at Sogo's and the food is always good - even with burgers for the picky eaters.
Takeout from Etta's is even more delicious food, in my opinion, but comes in styrofoam containers.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I personally like Sogo's better but Steve liked it a lot.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
mls10

Post by mls10 »

We too love the takeout from Miss Etta's-I tell her it is almost as good as when she cooked West Indian night at Tamarind. She always, if you get there early enough, has conch paties. Her paties have a good amount of curry, but overall we like Hercules better.
Don't dismiss De Coal Pot as second string Sogo's. It is dark and can be loud, but in general the entrees are better and it is air conditioned. It is sort of an elegant Sogo's-subdued lighting, white table clothes, and AC, but a little more expensive. We actually went to Sogo's as often, and got a take-out veggie dinner to support some villa grilling.
But I think De Coal Pot a nice addition to Cruz Bay and hope they make it.
Beachnut513

Post by Beachnut513 »

Can't wait to try the Roti there!! :D :D