Live trip report-photos added

Travel discussion for St. John
toni

Live trip report-photos added

Post by toni »

Forum member Minde and I flew down Tuesday (luckily not monday since the buffalo airport was snowed in that day!) it was a girls trip, leaving the husbands behind. We have both been a number of times with spouses.

First flight uneventful, second flight Minde goes to board and is stopped with a "you can't board you have a G seat and the planes been changed you have to get new seating." It ended up well, configuration went from a 2/5/2 (I think) to a 3/3 and we didn't have anyone in the third seat :D

We were doing an economy trip and are staying at Tamarind. I've stayed there before for a few days, Minde hadnt. She'd initially been considering camping at cinnamon if I couldn't go with her so I think tamarind was ok with her. Room is fine, private bath, twin bed setup, not on the courtyard so nicely quiet except for some people the first night. We keep losing our beach towels (tamarind ones) that we leave out at night to dry :( only thing I miss is a small fridge.

Ok... Car rental on STT, first for me, Mindes a pro though. Watched a car accident on the car barge.....bad driving on the one guys part. Pulled on too fast SCRAAAAPPPPE... Oops. Then another almost hit us as we pulled off. Careful people, it's not a race.

Candys BBQ for dinner. Eating at the railing we watched a car accident occur at the corner past Candies where a tourist thought they had right of way and they were wrong. Oops.

Wed. was vies beach, I'd not been before but it's a fave for Minde and since it gets great sun it easily could be a fave for me too. Image

She likes the snorkeling, I just lounge. Lunch at vies, I'm quite fond of Jonny cake and honey :) Afternoon drinks at joes rum hut and purchase of a great tshirt they have. Dinner at sogo's, always a must stop for either of us, I'm partial to their veggie platter. Shopping at Caravan Gallery! Can always find something here, especially gifts, good to see they didn't get damaged.

An evening of drinks at the quiet mon, watching two people having a fight in the street, the one guy kept coming back every twenty minutes or so for more. Alcohol played a BIG part, trust me!

Thurs was sam and jacks for lunch sandwiches and driving out to reef bay road to show Minde that side of the island. We've stayed out at rendezvous, fish and reef bay areas before and she wasn't familiar with that side.

We met up with Lori (forum member Loria) who showed us her LOVELY home Alice By The Sea http://www.vrbo.com/655606 (great views!) and then kindly drove us to Lameshur for an afternoon of broiling in the sun. WOW was it hot. Got some great photos from the ruins Image

and the weather has been beautiful!

Dinner at coral bay oasis which has fantastic Mac and cheese and green beans and ham, HUGE portions, casual dining, would definitely eat here again.

Nice drive back along the North Shore beaches for end of day photos ( I have a co worker who is starting to explore the Caribbean so I'm taking lots of photos).
Dessert at the end of the day at the Tamarind, yummy key lime pie.

Friday...north shore deli for tasty sandwiches for lunch as well as the dessert bars that taste as good as deli grotto used to. Honeymoon beach today and rental of their loungers and floats. If you are into water toys they have a good deal at $49/person for lots of toys or you can rent individual stuff. Another GORGEOUS day and Lori met up with us for more chat and beach time.

Back in time for a stop at the Animal Care Center for me (I'm really involved with our canine rescue at home), drinks at the across the street bar, dinner at cruz bay landing who had great spicy shrimp. And now back to the inn :) and planning what to do for tomorrow!
Last edited by toni on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cocosmom

Re: Live trip report

Post by cocosmom »

Wonderful! Thanks!
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time, Toni and Minde!
Can't wait to hear more. :D
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

What fun! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
My husband and I ate at candies BBQ and we could not believe how many people blew through the stop sign on that one way. :shock: I would say 8 out of 10 people never even slowed down, tourists and locals. It's an accident waiting to happen! The stop sign is kinda hidden behind the trees, time for a little pruning.

It was hot when we were there in January too...glad you had beautiful weather!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Just sent you a PM regarding sunset cruise!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
papabou

Post by papabou »

toni,

sounds lika a great trip thus far. continue to have fun in the sun and take good care of minde. she my favorite person i've never met. she'll explain.

papabou
kklay

Post by kklay »

Toni,

I've always wanted to stop at Tamarind and at least get a drink, check it out. I've heard that some of the meals are very good.

Have a great time on your vacation!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Enjoy
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Caw954s: "we could not believe how many people blew through the stop sign on that one way. :shock: I would say 8 out of 10 people never even slowed down, tourists and locals. It's an accident waiting to happen! The stop sign is kinda hidden behind the trees, time for a little pruning".

There is a reason that 8 out of 10 people, locals included, "blew through the stop sign": because it doesn't apply to them! Driving on the left has its peculiarities. If you are heading past Candi's on the one-way, and plan on going straight (i.e., not turn right towards Enighed Pond), then (assuming that the drivers on the road to your right obey their stop sign) you cannot have a conflict with another car, and do not need to stop. The stop sign is on the right hand side of the road, and requires that you stop if you are planning to turn right, since that does put you at the risk of conflict with someone proceeding east past the Marketplace, since they have to turn right toward Enighed Pond as well. For anyone heading away from town along the Enighed Pond Road, there is a stop sign on the left; they are required to stop and confirm that no one is proceeding out of the one way before turning Right onto Route 104. As long as you are driving straight through the intersection, is like any other intersection where the other guy has a stop sign, but you don't. That's how it was explained to me long ago; I have yet to vet this with the police, but given how avidly they will ticket for a slow rolling stop at other locations (the intersection of Rt. 104 with Centerline is a notorious example), I'm pretty sure that they are aligned on this one. Now, there is no harm in stopping at this intersection, as long as the car behind you has sufficient clearance, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't required.

The best part is the look on the faces of your visiting passengers when you "blow through the stop sign".

All the best,

Kevin
toni

Post by toni »

Today's Mindes birthday, how cool is that to celebrate your birthday on the island you love??? :D

We grabbed sandwiches at North Shore Deli again, then made our way to take photos on the North Shore. Minde took me to Gibney where I hadn't been and it is beautiful. Got some great photos.

Then on to Trunk where she snorkeled for a bit and we saw some small deer. More beautiful photos for me to show my coworker.

On to Honeymoon; we had hoped for as nice of a day as yesterday but it was cloudy for the several hours we were there. These little guys amused us for quite a while, and I took way too many photos! :oops:

The weather never cleared so.....on to a south shore beach that Id never been to and where there was total HOT sun and some of Minde's favorite snorkeling areas.

Driving back we gave a ride to three young women who were also enjoying their STJ time. Always fun to hear how others have found The Rock :) Dinner at the Oasis again, their Mac and cheese is soooo good! ( did I say that in the first report???) everything else is good too!

A super nice way to spend a birthday, just absolutely fantastic :)
Last edited by toni on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAY

Post by KAY »

Sounds like a great girls trip! Enjoying the live report. Happy Belated Birthday Minde!!
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Happy belated birthday Minde! I would say I hope it was great but I already know it was. You were in the perfect place. I was actually out near your neck of the woods in E-ville over the weekend. Lots of cold and snow! Enjoy!
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

You girls must be having a great time - there's quite a lag in this live trip report ! Have some pity on those of us still stuck in the clutches of winter yearning to warm vicariously through your island adventure. Let's get on the stick :)
toni

Post by toni »

I'm sorry to say the trip ended on Sunday for Minde and Monday for me :(
we both had to get back to work. Since Minde rented on STT we went back on an early car barge and drove to Charlotte Amalie where I had a room reserved at the Windward Passage.

Husband and I have stayed at a number of places on STT for a few nights before or after STJ or BVI trips and find the WP to be convenient and reasonable. Dropped off luggage and took Minde out to show her the joys of shopping on STT. :D

She was thinking it's all jewelry, which yes there is a lot of that, but there's also several stores which sell local things. Fishface is one such store. Definitely worth a visit! http://fishfacevi.com/ I was wearing a shirt from a festival Minde is quite involved with, The Blue Heron, and the husband recognized it knew the area and the people! It's a small small world.

We ate lunch at Gladys' but I will say that Cuzzins was my first choice. They were closed though. I do think Cuzzins is better. Gladys' is too busy I'm not liking the food as much as I used to. :(

I was glad to be able to show the retail side of things to Minde since she showed me some of the beauty I hadn't seen on STJ before. Minde headed to the airport and we both got to see a charming parade of ROTC, baton twirlers, Boy Scouts (?), and dance groups. Little little kids trying to march and twirl a baton are so cute!

I''d forgotten that STT on a Sunday night shuts down at 3pm. :( good news was the first American flight out Monday was only 2/3 full so I had an exit row all to myself :)

I will post some photos, I need to put them on my pc first. (whew, done!) It was a great trip and the first time Minde and I had done a girls trip. I'm sure it won't be our last!

jerseygirl062

Re: Live trip report-photos added

Post by jerseygirl062 »

So glad you enjoyed yourselves . Thanks so much for sharing - especially the lovely pics - made my day. Happy planning the next visit !