Current water temps

Travel discussion for St. John
Kathyzhere

Current water temps

Post by Kathyzhere »

Hi all,

Headed down very soon and wondering what the water temps are at the moment. After living in SW FL for 12 years we require warmer water than say New Englandahs :wink:

Our preferred time to visit is late Spring/early Summer but meeting up with family on STJ and they're from the Cape and Maine, so this time of year is awesome to them, well yeah - anytime on STJ is awesome, but ... will we need wetsuits?!! :lol:

Thanks!
Kathy & Thomas
Coconuts

Re: Current water temps

Post by Coconuts »

Kathy: The one water temperature recorder that I have found is down on the South Shore, at VIERS in Lameshur Bay, but the temperatures there have tracked pretty well with my personal measurements on the North Shore. Bottom line: the ocean temperature at this time of year peaks a bit after 3 PM in the afternoon at a pretty warm 82-83 degrees F, and drops to 80F at night. Hard to imagine temperatures like those calling for a wet suit! In August, 87 F is pretty typical, and bobbing in the water for hours on end as the sun goes down (and the beach empties out) is pretty awesome. Link here:

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physoc ... id=9751381

Subtract four hours to convert from GMT to AST (24 hour clock).

All the best,

Kevin
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Kevin, thank-you for your reply and the link. That temp range is exactly what I was hoping for! Happy to know now that we will be able to snorkel and not be cold. :D

Take care,
Kathy
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I disagree. The water temperature is not conducive to extended snorkeling without some kind of protection. I had to abort a snorkel to Pelican Rock on Friday because I was so cold that I started to get cramping in my feet and left leg. I was wearing long underarmour and it was not enough. I will be bringing a wetsuit for future winter trips. And I am from Boston, so I am used to the cold.

Sent from Frenchmans Reef, where I am stuck for the next few days thanks to blizzard number whatever of this year.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
dctac

Post by dctac »

It seems a bit warmer than last year....I hate cold water......cinnamon was nice..
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

We were there 2 weeks ago and I swam out to pelican rock. I had on a rash guard and by the time I got there, I was actually overheated! We found the water very comfortable at all of the beaches we went to. I had taken wetsuit tops with me in case, but did not have to use them!
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based Image
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Thanks for your time and replies everyone. I guess I will just have to wait and see for myself in 1 week from tomorrow! We are supposed to dip down into the 20s here tonight, brrrrr :shock:
ThirdBird

Post by ThirdBird »

The 20s would sadly be an improvement for us...can't wait to be on island in a couple of weeks! Temp here in western PA is dipping to negative 11 before windchill tonight. Get me outta here!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I am not sure of the numerical temperature but it seems quite warm for the winter this year -- I can call it 'walk in warm' - there doesn't seem to be the usual shock value that those of us who live here generally feel when we occasionally swim in the winter.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I agree with Exit Zero although for me it is almost "walk in warm" but still not warm enough for me to swim :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
psufan

Post by psufan »

I was on the snorkel out to Pelican Rock with Liamsaunt. I had a shorty on which kept me marginally warmer but after 1.5 hours in the water I was shivering by the time I got out. I tend to like warmer water so I found it a bit "cool" for extended periods of time without a shorty. It was perfectly fine and refreshing for a quick dip and if you actively swim I'm sure the temperature is great.