I have a size problem

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

I have a size problem

Post by michigan girls »

My summer trip appears to be growing beyond just my boys and I. Suddenly my daughter and 3 of her friends want to come along.

I love these girls, so that's not the issue - the issue is that this makes us a group of 7 - and the next oldest one after me is 23... My son is certified with the Army to drive any of their vehicles - but can't drive a rental car?

What am I going to do about a rental car? I see that St John Rental says that they have cars that seat 7, but has anyone done it? Will there be room for everyone's bags?

I am crazy for even planning this trip??
DonnaM

Re: I have a size problem

Post by DonnaM »

We have rented a Durango for 6 large people. You could fit 7 people in one but it doesn't leave much room in the back for suitcases or coolers/snorkel gear. Does the 23yo have auto insurance or credit card with rental car coverage? There has to be some company that will rent to a younger driver but it may cost more.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

michigan girls wrote:I am crazy for even planning this trip??
I don't know but I will say, I look forward to doing the same type of trip when my son is that age! I say go for it.

Isn't there a company on STT that rents to under 25 yo? I seem to remember it being mentioned in the past.
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Budget rents to persons under 25. I believe it's a bit more expensive and a special waiver needs to be signed. It was many moons ago for me when I did this.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Never crazy to plan a Caribbean getaway! Try Zip Car Rentals on St Thomas, they may be OK with age, especially if you can show the military connection. I used these folks, when I lived on island, they're super nice.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

Go look at one of those cars and picture seven people and luggage......then think about day after day after day......mmm not very pretty.... 2 cars.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

We had a group of 10 in the Fall of 2013 and rented 2 7-passenger Durangos but were told we could not put more than 5 people in each vehicle by the rental company (Sutton).

Honestly, 5 per vehicle was more than enough once you start putting in coolers, chairs, etc...

John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

My son feels up to the challenge of driving to the car barge and meeting the rest of us on STJ. Makes me really nervous. Is Budget my only option on STT? Do they come to the airport or do I have to get him to their office somewhere? How hard is it to get to the car barge from where they are?
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Budget is at the airport -just across the parking lot. If you use them keep checking in on your reservation - they are notorious for "over renting" and then not having the car when you arrive. Off season in summer for you should be ok.
I would check in with Discount on STT . They were very helpful to us with helping my daughter drive. We actually rented on our credit card and put her on as a second driver.
Good luck - sounds like a fun family trip.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We rented from Budget for the first time, recently, and I was pretty leery. I did call twice before the trip, to confirm our reservation, two weeks before and one week before, in mid-morning when I thought they might be less busy. Their desk is in the terminal, right behind you when you're waiting for luggage. You wait in a line there, and then they give you the keys, tell you where to find your vehicle, and walk across the road to their parking lot. We've always used Amalie on STT, so the wait was signficantly more than I'm used to - maybe 1/2 hour. I did see people ahead of me having to step aside to wait for their vehicle. I upgraded at the desk to an SUV, and that may be why I got our vehicle right away.
I also hadn't driven on STT before, but I'd been co-pilot several times. There are very clear, concise directions on a thread on TA. It's also helpful to look at the route a couple of times on Google Earth or Google Maps, but youngsters don't seem to appreciate preparation like people my age ;)
kklay

Post by kklay »

Michigan Girls,

Have you tried contacting Amalie Car Rental? We've used them several times and their website says they have a Dodge Durango 6-7 passenger.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I had heard that the only place that would rent to someone under 25 was Budget - is that not right?

My concern with just getting a vehicle for all of us on STT is with the comments above on how tight it is, and how much of a pain every time we all go somewhere? Plus, the idea of driving for my first time on STT with a car full of teenagers doesn't do much for me. My boys, with just the two of them though, maybe a little less hectic?

Today my mother said she might want to go - of course she refuses to drive there, so that only adds to my problem :roll:
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I suppose you could rent 2 vehicles from Amalie, and ask Amy if she could leave vehicle #2 at Red Hook. You could get vehicle #1 to STJ, taxi back to town, people ferry to Red Hook and then bring vehicle #2 over on the car barge - maybe with your boys as well?
It'd be a pain, but it's possible! Anything's possible if you try hard enough! :D
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I would rent a Safari Pick up from Denzyl Cline inn St John as we did last year for our group of 9. Our teenagers thought it was the best time ever...the cab had seats for 4 and the back had lots of room for people, coolers and chairs each day. We even picked up hitchhikers too. I almost had a Magnitic sign made the said Bigcheeze's Taxi...but thought better of it.
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

One of my sons honeymooned in St. John when he was only 21 or 22. He rented from a company that I rented from several times before. So I called them and explained the situation and they had no problem renting to my son. If you've rented from a company in STT or STJ before, call them personally and ask if they would rent you 2 vehicles, with one of the vehicles driven by someone under age 25. In my experience, they have been very reasonable and understanding, especially with any kind of good past history with them.