Night snorkel !!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Pickle

Re: Night snorkel !!!

Post by Pickle »

Thanks for the video, dctac!
It looks very interesting. Not sure if I can survive the pitch black that I see in your video, though (my unwanted imagination as well as claustrophobia would more likely set in). Hope you will try it again and kindly post videos/photos here. I know I would appreciate them very much!

Kevin, thank you for your info.
Yes, please report back about your night snorkel (where do you plan to do this - Maho?). Although I'm rather discouraged about trying it myself, I am very much interested to hear and see about it. I'm sure some other folks are curious about it, too... there are quite a few avid snorkelers here. Looking forward to it!
RickG

Post by RickG »

We've got a couple of Underwater Kinetics lights that work well. My older light that takes four C batteries has been working nicely since 1997. Here's the one I prefer. Its a long lasting light that has a very bright LED bulb.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A5 ... UTF8&psc=1

We night snorkel off the back of the boat. You'll see a lot of critters out and about. Some people get a bit anxious in the dark, so take it slow.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I would love to try night snorkeling! This will be my 6th trip and 5th for the kids; we've talked about trying some new things (for us) like the Reef Bay hike and snorkeling at Haulover or Brown Bay. A night snorkel would be so cool! (Too bad there's no full moon while we'll be there - I'd love to do the Ram Head hike under a full moon, then snorkel.)

It would be neat to do this with a guide, at least for our first foray at night. Anyone know of someone who would do this? I think I'll PM Pia.

Thanks for the idea!
parafins

Post by parafins »

To those for you that know me, I love to night snorkel. My first time was in July of 2006. I tried Hawksnest. I learned a lot after that snorkel. The first thing you want to do is snorkel the area during the day. Know what you want to visit, and how safe is it at night(Hawksnest is shallow with the reef very close to the surface in some spots. Glow sticks are you best friend! Place a glow stick on the beach where you want to enter.This will help to guide you back. Divelight: I bought mine on Ebay for $30 dollars used. (It takes 4 d size batteries) It has a back up light if the first one would fail. My favorite (safe) night snorkel is Big Maho. I follow the rocky coastline just below where the former campgrounds used to be. You have a nice sandy bottom below you and to your right is where the action is.
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Great advice parafins! I didn't even think about marking a spot on the beach for re-entry. Love the glow stick idea!