Travel discussion for St. John
steveo2916

Re: Must have food on STJ

Post by steveo2916 »

Pate's from Hercules!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Candi's, for sure. And I loved the tiramisu at Sam and Jacks, but they didn't have it last month :cry:
SheilaW1

Post by SheilaW1 »

Our must haves: Lobster and mussels meunier at the Lime Inn; crab sliders & fish tacos at Cruz Bay Landing; any sandwich from Sam & Jacks; crab & shrimp spring rolls at Banana Deck; conch fritters at Shipwreck Landing; Ponzu tuna and macadamia crusted grouper at Aqua Bistro
and ALWAYS the BEST bbq from Candi's BBQ. Won't be there till November.....but I just made myself very hungry now :wink:
Image[/url]
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

My list is the grouper reuben at Miss Lucy's, the mahi at Zozos, and the grouper tacos at Shipwreck Landing. There are so many good choices though, you can find something tasty pretty much everywhere.

My niece and nephew would say the johnnycakes at Miss Lucy's and the coconut crack bar at the old Deli Grotto--now North Shore Deli. They were so excited when I told them the Deli was still making the crack bars, and so disappointed when I came home barless since the Deli was not open yet after the Mongoose fire. Oh well, gives them something to look forward to this summer.

I am looking forward to my first ever dinner at Miss Lucy's, a long-awaited return to Sweet Plantains, and the Ponzu Tuna at Aqua Bistro when we stay in Coral Bay this summer (assuming they are all open).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Ponzu Tuna at Aqua Bistro
Lobster Tempura from Rhumblines
Pina Colada pancakes from Miss Lucys
and I dream about the Coconut Cardamom Panna Cotta from Fatty Crab
pipergal

Post by pipergal »

I dream of Tuna Down Now from the beach bar - with a Vanilla Pain killer
Chicken Roti from Foxys
Conch fritters from Vies
Curry shrimp from the Banana Deck
Geckocolada from the gecko gazebo in mongoose junction
Iced coffee with rumchata from cafe livin'
Caneel breakfast buffet
Crab cake Benedict from Cruz Bay Landing

Now I need to book my next trip!!!
Pipergal
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree with the Tuna Down Now at the Beach Bar. Yum! And this may sound goofy, but the Greek Salad with Chicken from the Banana Deck is something I look forward to every time we are on St John.
mls10

Post by mls10 »

Conch pates from Etta's.
Hot Pot from Fish Trap.
Saltfish pates from Hercules.
Goat from Sogo's or De Coal Pot.
Wahoo from Fish Trap.
Fungi from Sogo's.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

I'll second that curry goat from De Coal Pot or Sogo's, but could use a little help with number one on my list, which, alas, is no longer available: the awesome fried chicken from Joe's Famous Diner, may it rest in peace. I have been looking for a backfill on this, and am pretty sure that my list of candidates is incomplete. There's Hercules, but he/she seems to overcook them a bit, good, but not a close match to Joe's. Starfish and the St. John Market serve fried chicken, but my memory is that these are a bit breaded, again not the same. There is the roadside shack on Centerline just past Paradise Lumber, but she only serves wings. Tony's food truck up at Centerline and the Gifft Hill Road has served fried chicken, but they always seem to be out when I stop by. I'm not sure if Gwen fries chicken. Can anyone add some other entries, and suggest the fitting successor to Joe's?

All the best,

Kevin
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

pizza at indigo---mac and cheese at oasis---tater salad at pickles---blue cheese burger w/ an ice cold pbr at skinny legs---haven't gotten around to the trip report will post one.
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

Coffee and omelet at Jakes, ending with a take out mimosa for the ride up to Maho...
mls10

Post by mls10 »

I forgot Fish Trap's fish chowder, full of fish chunks and shellfish! Ask for Naz sauce---housemade hot sauce named after a former East Indian employee.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Blackened grouper sandwich at Tourist Trap...
Fish & Chips at Shipwreck Landing...
Ponzu Tuna at Aqua Bistro...
Jerk chicken wrap and Mac & Cheese at Oasis...
Anything off the grill on my front porch...
kklay

Post by kklay »

The Lima Inn has very good clam chowder. We also love the Landing Shrimp at Cruz Bay Landing and during Happy Hour it is half price! Pasta salad at Woody's is very good however we have found the service to have gone downhill since Todd and Chad sole to new owners. You have to remind them of your food order and it does take quite a while to get your food! Just have to drink a few more beverages while waiting so it's all good.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

We've enjoyed so many of the favorites listed above. For us I feel the traditions and sentimentality are what make our favorites taste so good down there- take out BBQ- Joe's or Candie's on the first night, Shipwreck Landing's Curry Nut Grouper, Vie's Fried Chicken, Beach Bar Tuna Down Under, etc. Wouldn't be a trip to STJ without them!

Quick question for those who know. We have not been to or even ordered pizza to go from Cafe Roma since they reopened after the fire. How is it? Also, I looked at the menu - do they serve cocktails as well or just beer?