Turtles!

Travel discussion for St. John
thompson27502

Turtles!

Post by thompson27502 »

Coming down next week (third time in 2 years) and plan to do a lot of snorkeling. So far i have been unable to swim with/see/spot turtles. Where might I find some this time of year?

Rays were my other bucketlist 'swim with' creature and I filled that in Maho last trip. hoping to cross this one off too!
Backtotheislands

Re: Turtles!

Post by Backtotheislands »

I always see turtles at Maho. If you scan the water from the beach (my husband does -he's not into snorkeling as much as me) you can see them surface and then go find them. I usually just "happen" upon them, though. Have also seen turtles at Waterlemon, Honeymoon/Salomon, Trunk, and out by Miss Vie's. Good luck! They are fun to follow/watch.
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

Francis.
Every time we go. From parking lot turn right, go about 70 yards and then thirty yards out into the water. You'll be in the sea grass where they like to eat.
[/url]
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

I agree with the other posters, Maho and Francis are great. Try will hang around the grassy areas.
Good luck, the first time is so exciting!
thompson27502

Post by thompson27502 »

Where specifically in Maho? We always snorkel on the rocky area to the left. Other posts suggest grassy areas are the best, so i will gravitate there. I know Vie's has a huge grassy area to the right but it's shallow.

I'll stay in the grass. Thanks all!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Wherever the sea grass is, at Maho, or at Francis. Early morning is best, in my experience, and they also seem to be out a ways, not in the very shallow water. Go to Maho about 8-9am - I can almost guarantee you'll find your turtles! :D
Beachnut513

Post by Beachnut513 »

Was at Maho on Tue and saw 4 turtles 2 Sting-Rays and a large Conch. And yes all in the grassy area!!
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

We've also seen Hawksbill Sea Turtles (they like to eat sponges) at Chocolate Hole along with lots of other great sea life including barracuda and octopus. Not many people know to go there so we always have it to ourselves. You'll likely find Green Sea Turtles wherever there is sea grass. Most of the ones you see around St. John are juveniles.

The reason you don't see many sea turtles is that they spend most of their lives in the open ocean; males never come to land after they are born (unless they are ill). Only the females come to shore and then only to lay their eggs, which isn't necessarily every year.
Last edited by snorkeler525 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kklay

Post by kklay »

We were at Maho twice last week and saw several turtles poking their heads up in the grassy area. Many snorklers were talking about all the turtles in this area. Not really that far out from the shore.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

always good luck at waterlemon
ImageP4290404 by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
thompson27502

Post by thompson27502 »

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'll keep you posted. lots of good feedback.

Octopus, eh? I've always wanted to see a cuttlefish in the wild doing all those awesome cuttlefishy things they do.
thompson27502

Post by thompson27502 »

On day 3 of vacation and I have seen a turtle every day snorkeling. Will post pics and video later. Been to francis, waterlemon, and honeymoon.
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

.......It has been YEARS since I have logged in to this site. But, I am considering another trip and saw this post. The main reason I go to St John is to take pictures of the life under water. I do not use expensive cameras as they tend to fail and cost a lot of money. BUT, I have pic's of sea turtles from St John that are to DIE FOR. When I get back to the states I transfer the images to canvas and my homes look pretty damn cool. That being said, this is how you get good pics of turtles.

#1 Be on island time GET UP EARLY
#2 Be at the beach at sunrise, relax, bring coffee to compensate for the painkillers last night!
#3 CAREFULLY watch the water (it must be calm) for bubbles. Turtles breath and they do make bubbles and stick their heads out for air.
#4 Once you have a good idea where they are SLOWLY go in to them and take as many pics as you can. Forget the viewfinder just point and shoot until your battery is dead or your memory card is full!
#5 Keep your distance and don't even think about touching them. They can and will swim like a rabbit running thru the woods if they want to.[img][img][img][img][img][img][img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]
My Avatar is my Corona moment......