Dealing with shore urchins

Travel discussion for St. John
thompson27502

Dealing with shore urchins

Post by thompson27502 »

The last 2 visits we stayed in Hart Bay and Privateer Bay. We were super excited to be staying right at the water in both (just a walk down the path to the beach). While it was great to walk along the beach, we didn't get in the water either time because of all the urchins. The were mainly juvenile (red spot) without the really huge spines but we avoided anyway - mainly because there were just so many of them.

Just looking for reassurance that we could walk on them without puncturing the sole of my tevas. or that somehow the 'urchin rules' didn't apply to the small guys.

We'll be staying near Fish bay in less than a week if that makes a difference. Thanks!
david@va.beach

Re: Dealing with shore urchins

Post by david@va.beach »

rocky shores always have urchins as opposed to sandy ones..you can put on fins at the waters edge and launch youself at 3 ft. of water. always try to limit your path as life is fragile everywhere.
TraumaQueen

Re: Dealing with shore urchins

Post by TraumaQueen »

Somehow when I read "shore urchins" I was thinking you were talking about people laid out all over the place blocking a path to the beach :mrgreen: . I'm sorry, it's early here and I'm in the process of drinking coffee.