Where have you stayed?

Travel discussion for St. John
PointPeeps

Where have you stayed?

Post by PointPeeps »

I can spend hours looking at villas and condos dreaming about where to stay and have. With so many folks on this forum that venture back to the rock so frequently I thought it might be interesting to share where you have stayed, why and a short note about the accommodation.
We have only one trip under our belt thus far and have stayed at a studio in Grande Bay since it was just the two of us during the holidays. We loved the convenience and did not need to rent a car the entire time. With that being said we will be bringing the kids next time and determined that we wanted the sunset view, so Coconuts will be it. So looking forward to that view! Where have you stayed?
michigan girls

Re: Where have you stayed?

Post by michigan girls »

1st trip - Christmas Cottage in Coral Bay - 1 room cabana on owners property in the Carolina Valley. Very basic, but charming. A super bargain at $500/week
2nd trip - Satinwood in Upper Carolina - 3 full bedrooms + 2 lofts. Totally off the grid. Nice pool and killer views. Probably my favorite so far.
3rd trip - Condo at Battery Hill. Nice enough, but I prefer to be on the Coral Bay side. It was very convenient to town.
4th trip - Giovanna's Garden. Small but nice, great Calabash Boom views. Good price.
5th trip - Moonstuck in Coral Bay - Also small but nice. decent Bordeaux mountain views. Good price.
6th trip (coming in just under a month) - Drakes Lookout in Coral Bay
7th trip (scheduled for August) - Tropical Manor in Upper Carolina
SpartyOn

Post by SpartyOn »

We stayed out first time at Astral Ridge in Calabash Boom. Loved it! The views were fantastic, the villa was beautiful and quiet. The management team is top notch. The road up is a little challenging but so worth the view!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

1st trip (2002) - Hakuna Matata (Catherineburg) - for a family member's wedding - AWESOME unobstructed views - road was horrible to get to and from the villa

2nd trip - Ristaba (Chocolate Hole North) - did not like having all of the villas in our views...got spoiled with the Catherineburg views

3rd trip and one other - Estate Lindholm - just the two of us so it suited us fine - great for being close to the beaches

4th trip - Seawatch (Gifft Hill) - pool was FREEZING in late June because it was shaded too much - could not swim in it. Leaks in the bedroom away from the pool - holes in the screens - kitchen full of mosquitos because it was outside

5th trip and three or four others - Argonauta - Contant Point - love the unobstructed views of STT and the sunsets from there - close to town yet doesn't feel that way - bedrooms are not equal and the one on the main floor in the main house has everyone else using their bathroom plus, due to the outdoor shower in that bathroom, you have to keep the door closed so it gets hot in there.

Another trip - Into The Mystic - loved staying in Coral Bay but can't get my normal crowd to do it. The villa was in a GREAT location with an awesome porch!!!

Another trip - Serenity - Maria Bluff - liked being on the point - a/c snuck out under the doors in the den so we had to put towels under them - shower in furtherest bedroom is very small - would still stay there again - hated all of the speed bumps between it and town though

Trying to decide for this next trip...looking at lots of new places and some old.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

1st trip the Westin.
2nd trip Villa Jumbie. Loved the house, nice view of Coral Bay Harbor, warm pool even at night, and full AC. Bed wasn't as comfy as I would've liked and sunrise woke me early!
3rd trip Sun, Moon, and Stars on Calabash Boom. Views to die for! Wonderful porch and deck, comfy bed, NO BUGS because of how high it was, outdoor sound system, quiet, truly private and romantic! Hubby loved the road, but it was far getting places.. Pool was too chilly at night (I think they have installed a solar heater since) and BR only AC.
4th trip Coconuts. Outstanding view! Very comfy bed, great outdoor area, pool was great, easy access.
You will enjoy Coconuts! Wish I had a trip planned, but hubby wants to hit new places - without snorkeling because I wear him out. :| :roll:
psufan

Post by psufan »

First trip - Orchid Villa, Klein Bay - loved the view, a bit far from beaches but now that Gifft Hill road has been improved it probably wouldn't be too bad

Trip 2 and 3 - Sunnyledge above Francis Bay - awesome villa and breathtaking view, no pool

Trip 4 - Grande Bay - super convenient to downtown which is a blessing and a curse. Spent much more time in the bars and more money :D

Trip 5 - Coconuts - can't say enough good things about this villa

Trip 6 - Sugar Cane Suite - great place and wonderful owners

Trip 7 - Coconuts

Trip 8 - Rendezvous Cottage - had a great stay. Not fancy but very comfortable for 2. Owner is wonderful.

Upcoming Trip 9 - Coconuts

yes, we have a St John addiction issue.
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

Westin-first time to stj
Gallows Point-several times...love the location and when zozo's was there...perfect! (Without kids)
Starstruck and Skyway-both in Gifft Hill- really love both; location is fabulous, nice amenities; Starstruck is a fave for us with kids as bedrooms are only accessible from inside the house-no "pods" like most houses on island
Casa del Sol in chocolate hole-great house
Grande Bay-super convenient but I prefer privacy of a villa and own pool but location is great for couples wanting to be in town (but I would pick Gallows any day of the week over GB )
We are staying in coral Bay Area for first time this next trip...finally! Will be tough to give up the sunsets but I'm looking forward to a different perspective!
Love this island!!!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

First trip: Astral Ridge on Calabash Boom. I really hate we stayed here first because everything will now be compared to this and it's really hard to imagine something better!

Second trip coming up: Blue Bay View on Bourdeaux Mt. It's a new rental and we'll be sure to leave a review when we return! Here's the info for those who have never heard of it: http://www.vrbo.com/619573
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

Cinnamon Ridge 3 times - best view on the entire island IMHO. No A/C but have never missed it. Killer pool. Did I mention the view??

Tree House - basic and older home but great views from high up on Mamey Peak. Very good value.

Tesseract (now Kia Ora) - twice. Convenient location but I like the views elsewhere better. Nice lap pool.

Soft Winds - twice. Great views and very private. Overlooking Reef Bay surf. Nice little pool. Bit of a drive from town. Good value.

Solaris - neat home, lots of privacy since it is a multi-building plan. Great pool.

Bongo Bongo - lovely home, wonderfully decorated and high-end finishes. Great pool. Convenient location.

Azul Peter Bay - best value for the location. Nice views and very private. Nice little pool. Not much of a breeze when we were there so was buggy but it may have just been a calm week.

Two others, one off the rental market at Hart Bay and another, sadly demolished so as to clear the view for the monstrosity built next to it.

Enjoy your visit!!!

SteveO.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Woodrose in Fish Bay.
Second Wind on Reef Bay.
Bayview on Mamey peak.
Hummingbird House on Bourdeaux
Cinnamon Bay Camps
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Woodrose in Fish Bay.
Second Wind on Reef Bay.
Bayview on Mamey peak.
Hummingbird House on Bourdeaux
Cinnamon Bay Camps
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

LOVE reading the places all have stayed! I am such a villa junkie!

1st Trip - Gallows Point (oceanfront lower), loved the easy access to Cruz Bay

2nd Trip - Over the Rainbow (Reef Bay), view, views, views, privacy, and the seats in the end of the swimming pool!

3rd Trip - Villa Gin de Mer, again, views and solitude! + a sweet price since it was only two of us!

4th Trip (a bit of a traitor at this point venturing into the BVI's) - Hideaway Villa at Sandy Ground Estates on Jost van Dyke. Liked it so much we are buying it. :wink: What a process, fingers crossed that our close date stays scheduled for THIS FRIDAY!!!! :D

5TH Trip (still playing traitor girl) - Sugar Mill on Tortola, the food is amazing, the service top notch, did I mention I loved the food.

6th Trip (still in the BVI) - The Heritage Inn on Tortola, sunset views to die for and so nice and quite during the day before the bar and restaurant are open.

7th Trip (this fall) - Finally, two weeks at Hideaway, Jost van Dyke
kklay

Post by kklay »

Here is where we've stayed and enjoyed each trip!

Westin 3 bedroom pool villas (several times)
Westin 1 bedroom hillside villa (a couple of times)
Veridian Gardens (couple of times, when it was still inexpensive)
Villa St. John (bedrooms are beautiful and great pool/outdoor/covered areas
Villa Sanctuary (wonderful villa and views!)
Vistaero (stayed before renovations - wonderful views)
Maria Breeze
Inn Love
Grande Bay
Palm Terrace - Tropical Blessings (owner was great to work with and her condo is beautiful
Palm Terrace - 4 bedroom pool condo
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Gallows Point - first 4 trips, the first being wedding/honeymoon during November rain of 2003. despite the weather fell in live with STJ!!!
Villa in Frank Bay - Amora? May be off market
Sago Palms - RIP
Lavender Hill and Estate Lindholm - used for extra nights before villas
Anchorage Aweigh - Coral Bay

Search is currently on for 2016!! May do a separate post, I need help!! Soo many choices so little time.
Fun to see where others have stayed!
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

1st trip - Andande By the Sea - Great deck and views
2nd trip - Ristaba - Great deck but didn't like all 4 bedrooms right next to each other
3rd trip - Villa Tesori - Awesome everything
4th trip - Bongo Bongo - Maybe because we had bad weather that week but I didn't really like the layout of this house.
5th trip - Villa Capiz - girls trip
6th trip - Giovanni's Garden - Views were awesome. Loved Calabash Boom
7th trip - Grand Bay for 3 nights and Bay Rum Breeze - My all time favorite!

I need a new ticker :(