Polar Bear...48 hours??

Travel discussion for St. John
Ron in South Texas

Polar Bear...48 hours??

Post by Ron in South Texas »

Because of logistics, I'm looking for at least 48 hours to keep my food frozen. I have a polar bear cooler (24 pack) and I know how to pack it. I wrap everything in baggies and newspapers. Layer techni-ice on the bottom, sides, middle and top. Have any of you had any experience for that length of time? I'm looking for a place to overnight on St Thomas that has a full refrigerator just in case...Thanks!!!
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
PA Girl

Re: Polar Bear...48 hours??

Post by PA Girl »

Door to door, we did a more than 36 hour (but less than 48 hour) trip from PA with a 48 can size. I know the steaks and split chickens were frozen solid on arrival. I put the bacon on the top and that might have softened up a bit but was still "frozen." My packing method was similar to yours.

As long as you keep it zipped, you'll be fine.
18N 64W

Post by 18N 64W »

I've wondered about this also. Do you check the cooler in or do you take it as a carry on?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We always checked it but reports are that the 24 can will work as a carry on.
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

I've carried it on when we went to Nassau. It was about 36 hrs and items were softening. I'm probably going to put it in rolling duffle bag with my villa supplies...if it fits...and check it.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
RickG

Post by RickG »

We've done 36 hours and arrived with frozen meat, but defrosting shrimp. I put the whole Polar Bear 24 packed and in the freezer set at -10F overnight. No techni ice and no newspaper, just packed tight. If it were me I'd give it a try as long as I was able to keep the cooler in an air conditioned room the second night. Other factors are time of year and checking the bag in an unheated airplane cargo hold.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
kklay

Post by kklay »

Just returned one week ago and we checked a Polar Bear with frozen orange juice, steaks, cheese, lunch meats, pre-cooked shrimp - frozen, bacon, 1 lb roll of sausage. packed tight and not opened for 38 hours. Everything was rock solid except the sausage and orange juice but very cold. No issues. I'd say go for it! By the way, we traveled from Ohio (leaving our house at 2:30 AM - it was only 3 degrees!) to Atlanta (overnight) then on to St. Thomas the next day. Got our car on STT, took the car barge and unpacked in our Westin Condo around 4 PM.