Airline flight change!! Need opinion

Travel discussion for St. John
psufan

Airline flight change!! Need opinion

Post by psufan »

Delta cancelled our non-stop flight from JFK to STT for our September trip. They rescheduled us on an earlier flight with a layover in Atlanta. The layover is only 40 minutes! Has anyone done this itinerary before? Delta flight 465 lands at 8:45 AM and then Delta flight 571 leaves at 9:25 AM. Is this even possible?
ski2play

Re: Airline flight change!! Need opinion

Post by ski2play »

Atlanta (imo) is not a hard airport to navigate. But 40 minutes, that is tight. The only redeeming thought is that it is Delta to Delta. I would chance it but dang, it would cause me to fret and that is not a great start to any vacation.
kklay

Post by kklay »

We just returned a week ago and on our flight down to STT, we had to go from the domestic terminal to the international terminal which meant a longer ride on their tram. 40 minutes is pretty tight!
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

If Delta made the change then they must think it is doable. Unfortunately, that doesn't get you anywhere if your first flight is late. You can look up on time statistics for the flights to see if your earlier flight is typically on time. The airlines build in a lot of slack in their flight times to help ensure they are always on time so they frequently arrive early.

Since they made a major change to your flight, you do have the right, at no charge, to (1) cancel it and try another airline or (2) request different flights than they offered you.

Good luck!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

If you do try to make that connection any checked bags likely would not. I would either do carry-on only or have everything I need for a couple of days in my carry-on luggage. Good luck!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Perhaps fly out the night before and stay in ATL...then connect the next morning with your original STT leg.

We did that this year with AA out of DTW thru MIA. We're leaving Sat night with an over night in MIA and connect on the 11:15 to STT. They changed it for free for u too as I reminded them of the 4 changes they had made to us in the past 6 months and I didn't charge them. Either way we have to spend a Sat night somewhere...So, I figured MIA would be better than DTW. Plus it makes that long travel day a lot shorter and don't have to get up at 3am for a flight and finally get to the Villa 15 hours later.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

We had a 40 min connection in Miami and were late coming in. We did the old OJ Simpson commercial of running through the airport to get to our connecting flight. We just barely made it and were the last one’s on. It was a very stressful way to start our vacation. Will not do that again. The only good part was – they had lots of Vodka onboard.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

I would not chance it...nothing is on time anymore!
psufan

Post by psufan »

Bigcheeze, thanks for the recommendation. We are now flying to ATL the night before. We won't have to be stressed out about making the flight the next day. Have to spend some $$ on a hotel stay but will use some of our accumulated credit card points. This will be a much more relaxing start to our vacation.

Traveling to STJ in the off-off season is more challenging than I expected. No worries though. Vacation soon come. :D
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Excellent decision to head down the night before. Forty mins is tight and given the heavy flight loads, there is no guarantee of space on the next STT flight if you miss the connection.

We did this a few years ago and it worked out great. It's much more relaxing!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
psufan

Post by psufan »

Ok, so now I have a silly question. As much as we have traveled we have never had an overnight stay. Our flights are both Delta. If we check a bag will it be checked through to STT?
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I don't think it will be checked through( we only use carry ons)...so , there is a bit more of a hassle for Peace of mind.