Delaware Family Poisoned at Sirenusa!

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Re: Delaware Family Poisoned at Sirenusa!

Post by Coconuts »

Kirk: Thanks a lot for that bit of info you provided (that the unit of the family that was poisoned was upstairs of the fumigated unit). Methyl bromide, aka Bromomethane (CH3Br), is nominally a liquid, but since it has a boiling point of 3.5 degrees C, as soon as you open a container of it at room temperature, the liquid boils, and it quickly turns into a gas that fills the lower levels of the interior space that is is confined in. This ease of use (just open the bottle and run away), legal restrictions notwithstanding, has had to be a factor in its illegal use in this residence.

My immediate reaction when I saw your post was that methyl bromide gas must somehow be lighter than air, and rose naturally into the upper unit via unknown shared (but not forced) air connections. This seemed unlikely, though, due the dramatic mismatch in molecular weights: air averages 29 gm/mol, while methyl bromide is much higher, at 95 gm/mol. The density of dry air at 25 C is 1.18 kg/cubic meter, while the density of methyl bromide gas (at 20 C, the only value I can find on record), is 3.97 kg/cubic meter. It's not clear what the A/C temperature in these condos was, but from the ideal gas law (PV=nRT), it is clear that the gas was nearly four times the density of air, and could not have risen "naturally" into the upper unit. Some diffusion would have occurred, but this would have been negligible. The most likely way for the toxic gas to have gotten into the upper unit, poisoning the poor family staying there, would be if the AC systems for the two units were shared (to save on cost, by spreading one exterior AC unit over multiple condo units), and forced air circulation rapidly pushed the poison into the unit that these poor people rented.

This was a criminal act, since this noxious gas is not approved for residential use, but the real issue may very well be that the firm (Terminex) tasked by the current Sirenusa management with addressing some sort of insect problem in the lower unit (Powder Post Beatles, really? Was it actually a guest complaint about ants?) were almost certainly not, given the history of bankruptcy of the Sirenusa project, provided with the architectural details that would have revealed the shared forced air connections between the units.

What a horrible tragedy! We can only hope that the mother is fine, that the father, having "regained consciousness", is now his former self, and that the two sons will soon awaken, and resume their former lives, without impairment.

Kevin

[Edit Easter Sunday: Got to reading the latest copy of Tradewinds, which quotes from the warning label for Vikane, the replacement for methyl bromide:
"When fumigating a single unit/room within or connected to a larger structure (such as townhouses, apartments, and condominiums), all units in the entire structure must be vacated during the fumigation and aeration periods"
Last edited by Coconuts on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sad to say that the two boys are still in a coma. Not much in the news to report.
Hoping for a full recovery.
silands

Post by silands »

A updated report was just on ABC Nightly news you can get the link
http://abcn.ws/1azsc6P on the web page home site
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

CBS Morning also ran a story today during their second half hour.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

The Today Show on NBC also ran a story at 7:30am ET this morning (4/6).
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Methyl bromide is a nasty, insidious chemical because of its lack of odor or immediate irritating properties at low concentrations, and because signs of exposure are often delayed. In severe cases of poisoning, recovery can be protracted, with persisting neurologic problems.

The IDHL concentration (Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health) for methyl bromide was lowered to 250 ppm in 1994 by NIOSH based on acute inhalation toxicity data in humans. This may be a conservative value due to the lack of relevant acute toxicity data for workers exposed to concentrations above 220 ppm. NIOSH recommends as part of its carcinogen policy that the "most protective" respirators be worn for methyl bromide at any detectable concentration.

Reported odor thresholds vary from 20 to 1,000 ppm. The odor of methyl bromide has been described as sweetish and similar to chloroform, musty or fruity at concentrations above 1,000 ppm, or faintly acrid at around 500 ppm. When methyl bromide is used as a structural fumigant, it may react with sulfur-containing materials in buildings to produce a persistent odor.

The addition of 0.3% amyl acetate or 2% chloropicrin is often added as a sensory warning agent to some preparations of methyl bromide intended for fumigation. However it can be of limited safety effectiveness, because chloropicrin vapor typically disappears before the methyl bromide vapor dissipates. The smell of chloropicrin has been described as chlorine or tear gas like.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Amyl Acetate has a fruity, banana type odor.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

This certainly is not any of my business but I just can't stop thinking of this poor family. I just heard on the news that the dad is in stable condition this morning and showing signs of improvement and they are hopeful for a full recovery for all. I am wondering if that means that although the boys are still in a coma it might be a medically induced coma so they can monitor and control somewhat the boys awakening- just hoping. This forum is always so supportive when someone is in need of prayers or support. Let's send them a giant prayer bomb for a full recovery.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Agent, even though they say the Father is stable, he still cannot move or talk. The Mother is in occupational therapy.

The reason I know this is because I know a dentist that is very good friends with the Mother, who is a dentist in our area.

They really do need ALOT of prayers. The boys have had bleeding in the lungs and no doubt, if they live, have lifelong problems.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

The Today Show ran with the story again this morning. They mentioned the story received significant attention when they covered it yesterday. No new updates were provided about the family that we don't already know.

They had someone from the legal profession stating the biggest issue in the anticipated litigation will be proving the damages were actually caused by methyl bromide. It's sad we have already moved on to this point when two boys remain in comas and their father can't move or speak.

The piece also addressed what steps tourists should take in advance of their vacations - check with their property managers about pesticide use, open windows and doors upon arrival, etc... All things that I never considered when looking for a rental anywhere, let alone STJ.

My big questions are:

1) Why would Terminix, or any other pest control company, be in possession of such a highly regulated and dangerous chemical.

2) How did they get it?

3) Can anyone think of a non-residential application it can be used for on STJ? Agriculture? Industrial?

3) Should we assume that Sirenusa had a special problem that needed such drastic (and illegal) measures, or is this Terminix's standard operating procedure with other properties?

Hopefully the investigation will provide clear answers to these and other questions.

Here's to a speedy recovery for all of the family members.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
RickG

Post by RickG »

More than two weeks after the poisoning, there was a lot published on this matter in the St. John Source and Virgin Islands Daily news. A few minutes looking at the primary sources for the mass media reports will give you articles like this one:

http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/lo ... ional-news

Why the late surge of national international news reports? Ask the attorneys and publicists.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Does anyone know how the problem was discovered to be methyl bromide? On shows like CSI, identifying these sorts of things is always very easy, but I know that it isn't even remotely such in real life.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Teresa_Rae wrote:Does anyone know how the problem was discovered to be methyl bromide? On shows like CSI, identifying these sorts of things is always very easy, but I know that it isn't even remotely such in real life.
Hi Teresa, I work for the EPA, the U.S. Virgin Islands are not in my region, but I am a risk assessor and we have people on duty 24/7 usually for chemical spills. No doubt, they got the call and got over there ASAP with special air monitoring equipment that can detect a suite of chemicals instantly (BTW, they would dress in level A suits with respirators) No doubt, once they saw that methyl bromide was the chemical of concern, they started looking around for the source. EPA has enforcement officers (like detectives) and I guarantee they are building a case right now and the responsible parties will pay financially for sure...but this horrific offense will demand some serious jail time. I'm sickened and so angry that this poor families lives will never be the same due to the negligence of this company. Those two boys...
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Caw954s wrote:
Teresa_Rae wrote:Does anyone know how the problem was discovered to be methyl bromide? On shows like CSI, identifying these sorts of things is always very easy, but I know that it isn't even remotely such in real life.
Hi Teresa, I work for the EPA, the U.S. Virgin Islands are not in my region, but I am a risk assessor and we have people on duty 24/7 usually for chemical spills. No doubt, they got the call and got over there ASAP with special air monitoring equipment that can detect a suite of chemicals instantly (BTW, they would dress in level A suits with respirators) No doubt, once they saw that methyl bromide was the chemical of concern, they started looking around for the source. EPA has enforcement officers (like detectives) and I guarantee they are building a case right now and the responsible parties will pay financially for sure...but this horrific offense will demand some serious jail time. I'm sickened and so angry that this poor families lives will never be the same due to the negligence of this company. Those two boys...
Interesting, thanks for the info. I tend to think of everything that happens on STJ being on island time...I wouldn't have necessarily thought they'd have the proper monitoring equipment available, or that anyone would even realize that an odorless chemical could be to blame. If my entire family got sick, the last thing I would think of would be an odorless chemical...I would think it was a virus or food poisoning or something.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
ms411

Post by ms411 »

The family initially thought they had food poisoning, but the hospital suspected some type of poisoning, because the entire family was having seizures. The VI is under Poison Control in FL so they probably rendered expertise.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)