Another US Airways change...ugh

Travel discussion for St. John
Ron in South Texas

Another US Airways change...ugh

Post by Ron in South Texas »

I've had bad luck with US Airways, but at $400 rt from Houston, I couldn't pass it up. Originally booked for June 13...overnight in Charlotte and on St Thomas at 1:30 on the 14th...St John by 4:00...yay me!!! It was too good to be true. Nope...next...overnight in Charlotte, early morning flight to Philly (large plane), St Thomas at 1:30...nope...next...overnight in Charlotte but a 9:30 pm arrival time, early flight to Philly on a puddle jumper and then to St Thomas...nope...next and hopefully final change. Leave at 7:00am on the 13th from Houston, change planes in Charlotte and on St Thomas at 3:35. Leaving the 14th to sleep, sightsee, buy groceries and check in at 4:00 on St John. The car rental has been updated and we're spending the night at The Green Iguana...unless US Airways screws things up again...
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
PA Girl

Re: Another US Airways change...ugh

Post by PA Girl »

Ugh!

I just booked on US Airways for our June trip (end of the month) thru Philly. We can connect thru Philly or Charlotte and I was pricing both. What is up with Charlotte? The flights were so expensive.

I was surprised how full all the flights are for that time of year. Our plans were sort of up in the air as we were debating adding days on at the beginning of our STJ trip in SJU or STT. When I saw how few seats were left, I booked right then and there.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

OK – I think I know how to get on STJ without all the hassle.

We’re all flying North-to-South to get to STJ.

Here’s my thought, fly South-to-North.

Leave the good ole USA and fly to somewhere like Argentina – then connect to a direct flight to STT. Boom, you’re on-island.

Just kidding you all – we had the same thing happen to us on AA back in October. Kept changing, more changes and then more changes to where we were losing a day. I feel for you all.

Just though a little laugh would help – Good Luck.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

And to add insult to injury you they do not let you select your seats without a charge. Our flights are requiring a $19 charge per seat to select a month out alleging that there is extra legroom. No other seats are highlighted as available. I always worry that if they are overbooked and you don't have an assigned seat that you are the first to be bumped- don't know if that's true but so frustrating!
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

About a month ago, I received a Kayak notice early in the morning regarding a US Airways fare sale from Minneapolis to St. Thomas via Charlotte. We leave at 5:40am on August 2nd and arrive in St Thomas around 3:00pm. Fare was $499 per person. So far no changes announced to the schedule... :)

By 1:00pm on the day of the sale, the rates had returned to previous levels.

I'm thinking $499 is not too bad given I can't find anything these days without an overnight for less than $630.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
Ron in South Texas

At least I didn't pay to get my flights changed around. I learned that if the airlines changes your flights, all the other flights are fair game no matter the cost difference. The only problem is that on the flight from CLT to STT there weren't three seats together...and that's not a major problem...
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

You are all scaring me... Have a USAIR flight next month out of BWI. Haven't heard a word..do the email you if there is a change or should I be checking? Checking where ?
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We're about 2 hrs maybe from Clt...and I detest flying from there anyway,even if they do have a non stop to STT...The first time we went to STT we took that flight on US Air and I decided never again..If I remember correctly, I think we paid about 350 pp back then..and then I read all these stories about US air and I'm really glad I dont book out of there...I hate to say it...but I will stick with the dreaded Spirit out of MB for about half the price and cross my fingers because it doesn't sound like US Air is any better.. :(
[/url]
psufan

Post by psufan »

cocosmom, they don't always notify you. I have learned this from experience. Best way to check is to go to the USAir website and use your reservation code to check your reservation. I have gotten into the habit of checking regularly. Some airlines are better than others about letting you know. For example, my daughter and son-in-law are joining us in September. They are flying out of Cleveland. They were scheduled on a connecting flight out of JFK. Randomly i asked if she had been checking her flights. She hadn't and low and behold there had been a flight change which had them coming in later than their connecting flight. They were never notified of the change. The same thing happened to us for our trip down February. Luckily I was checking regularly. With the airlines I have learned to be ever vigilant.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I also check periodically. Thankfully, we haven't had any major changes but sometimes our seat assignment gets changed. We have a 9yo and while he could sit alone, I prefer he sits next to either myself or his father.
Ron in South Texas

They notified me on the first change, but not in the other changes. I look at my reservations every day...usually more than once a day...OK, I'm a little obsessed...lol...they earned their nickname US Scareways....lol
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

So far so good with 28 days to go. I did pick Charlotte because it was a 90 minute layover instead of philly which was less than an hour. Our plane only has a handleful of seats left.. Should be interesting.
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

I started getting a little nervous reading everyone's posts! I just checked -- our flights did change but only by about 10 min. We have a non-stop out of Charlotte end of June. Hold my breath til I get my booty on the plane!!!!
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

I thought I better check our flights.
They changed us to arrive in the afternoon at 3;30 so I moved it to back to arrive at 11:30. Instead of flying from Raleigh
to Charlotte we now fly to PHL and then to St Thomas. A week later I had to change it again. Now we get in at 1:45 instead of 11:30.
I don't understand how they can keep doing this. The reason I picked them was for the time I would get
to St. John. I guess I will be checking each week until June.
Right now I just want to get there. What a mess.
Beach Creecher