Recommendations for Private Charter for 6 - Snorkel not Bars

Travel discussion for St. John
chicagoans

Recommendations for Private Charter for 6 - Snorkel not Bars

Post by chicagoans »

I've been on a private sail to JVD that was great, but had just as much time at Foxy's and Soggy Dollar as time spent snorkeling.

Next week (yes, I may be too late) our group of 6 will include 3 teenagers. We'd love to try some snorkel spots we've never been, like the Caves. Don't need time at bars. Motor boat preferred by some of the group.

Recommendations? Thanks!
FlaGeorge

Re: Recommendations for Private Charter for 6 - Snorkel not

Post by FlaGeorge »

Try St. John Boat Rental (http://www.stjohnboatrental.com/) -we used them this past October. We went out on their Innovation boat and it was great. Great Boat – Great Captain. He will take you anywhere you want to go. Plus, they have a $99 Gas Guarantee. Paid the $99 plus boat fee and off you go. It was the best day of our vacation.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

It may be somewhat late but really most[if not all] the Captains would love to have people who enjoy the waters, want to see new places and don't need to spend time drinking at a BVI bar.
With only 6 passengers there are certainly plenty of options for vessels, even some STT boats would be happy to pick up in STJ for a family that wants to explore and snorkel new spots, and all the Captains have some great spots to recommend that are off the beaten track and less visited but they are often reluctant to suggest places when people have their requested and popular spots to visit.
I would hope one of our most active posters from this site who books trips will send you a PM - she has good connections for charters.
Look at this boat, the brothers/owners are born here and know plenty of snorkeling that would amaze you - well run and an immaculate vessel too!

http://www.sunseavi.com/About_Us.html
Beachnut513

Post by Beachnut513 »

Check out Captain Jimbo!! You won't be disappointed. He'll do what ever you want.
SheilaW1

Post by SheilaW1 »

My husband and I booked a private charter with Kiote Sails and Captain Jimmy and his wonderful first mate out of Coral Bay last year which was fantastic! http://kiotesails.com/
We did not visit any beach bars as we have done those in the past and just wanted some great snorkeling sites and Kiote Sails did not disappont. We snorkeled places with very healthy soft and hard corals, lots of fish, turtles and rays and where we were the only boat and people!! Plus - Capt Jimmy is a GREAT cook and presented a beautifully prepared and delicious meal plus appys and beverages of your choice! He is interesting to talk to and gave us lots of info on the history of STJ and surrounding waters and island life in general. I HIGHLY recommend a sail on Kiote and we will do another charter with him on our next trip to STJ this November!
Image[/url]
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thanks everyone! I've checked into recommendations and spoken with my friends. We may run into a pricing issue but I'll be sure to do a TR and let everyone know what we ended up doing!
thompson27502

Post by thompson27502 »

Catania charters. Soooo awesome. so personal. Ocean will treat you right.
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

Busy Bee! Brian was wonderful and we loved our Lap of St John trip on 3/18. We had 4 snorkel stops and no booze at all :D
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

Check out Copeland Charters. Capt Kevin is a good dude. He's just as happy taking you snorkeling and skipping the Bars. We stayed in the USVIs on our last trip and he took us to some nice spots.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Get your captain to stay in US waters so you don't waste time at customs. We did the caves once...not all that and wouldn't do it again. One trip, we had our captain take us around St. John and it was REALLY cool seeing the whole island from the water. We snorkeled the brothers or something like that, Carvel Rock (lots of HUGE tarpon), Newfound Bay, and Flanagan's Island and possibly one other, can't remember. It was one of my favorite boat trips!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
loria

Post by loria »

Captain Jason and Knot E buoys..... great boat , great captain!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>