Must do' for a first timer on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
Connie

Must do' for a first timer on STJ

Post by Connie »

I figure we have 6 full days.

I have read this forum forever, but I'm trying to get my thoughts together. We have only been over to STJ a couple times for day trips and we really don't know much,so we want to make this trip memorable.

Some may know we're staying in Blue Bitch in Cruz Bay, which by the the way, the owners have been amazing. I know I want to go to the Beach Bar the first day for a tuna down now and a good painkiller :).

I'm not sure we'll we'll go to Jost this year. Although we love people watching and we love taking the ferry, we may drop that this year. We've also rented dingys before, but I think we're getting too old for that. We will both be turning a young 60.

Looking back on all your trips to STJ, what would you suggest to newbies who always stayed on STT.

By the way, cleaning and purging today, I found a map of STJ :) still is confusing to me.
Last edited by Connie on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Exit Zero

Re: Must do' for a first timer on STT

Post by Exit Zero »

A kayak exploration of the area outside of Coral Bay would be something well worth the effort.
A hike up to Rams Head is an easy and awesome treat and a swim at Salt Pond and a walk over to Drunk Bay makes for a real combo day.
The Reef Bay guided hike is truly a wonderful day - especially the days that have a boat ride home included.
Vie's beach and food should not be missed.
Francis Bay with the wonderful beach and snorkeling along the shore out towards Mary Point is my favorite STJ experience.
Connie

Re: Must do' for a first timer on STJ

Post by Connie »

Thanks Exit. I'm printing all ideas out. :D
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

I understand your excitement as we are going on our 2nd trip in June. Here's a list of what we did on our first 10 day trip. I'm posting all so you can choose. We wouldn't change a thing!

1. Our first day we hiked early morning to Saloman. Wow is about all I can say.
2. Francis is my favorite place on Earth so far so we spent a few days here.
3. Hiked the Reef Bay Trail. Started early on a day that rained in the morning. By the time we got to the great house the sky had cleared. Best advice for this trail is plenty of water and a snack. We did it ourselves and the way back up was rough. We'll be doing it again so our 15yo can experience it.
4. Lameshur. Gorgeous place. We have the famous window picture from there.
5. Annaberg ruins. Was so cool sitting there and thinking about the history and what life must've been like.
6. Maho, Salt Pond, Trunk, Cinnamon and Jumbie. Have to do these at least once.
7. Drove all the way out til the road ends on the East End. Just gorgeous scenery.
8. Hiked to Haulover North. It was dusk and I felt creeped out walking through the "woods". Not unsafe, just creepy because of the scenery. We plan on going back when the sun is high in the sky.
9. Banana Deck, High Tide, Skinny Legs, Ms Lucy's. Food is subjective, but we enjoyed it all.
10. Get a Lime n da Coconut. You're welcome!
11. Kekoa to Jost. Save this for the next trip bc there will be a next trip!
12. My most important advice is to slow waaay down, make your plans but understand you'll probably not do 1/3 of the things on your list, live in the moment and take it all in. I've never completely relaxed on vacation until I stayed on STJ.

Have fun!!!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

A drive all the way out to the East End and a visit to Sloop Jones if you are into that type of clothing. I have a linen top that is getting better with age, it is going on 10 years.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

I agree with the others.

get going early... pack your cooler and head down the northshore rd. and pic a couple of beaches and ruins to explore..If it's windy check out the southshore beaches. day 2. Try to catch a sunrise from the coral bay side..swim at haulover then lunch at vies or skinnylegs (2 totally different places). I think st. john is damn near paradise..
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

In my opinion – the best kept secret beach on STJ is Gibney Beach (aka: Oppenheimer Beach). This is my favorite beach. It is just past Hawksnest. I first found it by swimming around the point from Hawksnest. When the tide is out – you have a nice wide beach that the coconut trees hang over the beach and water. On the far side of the beach is a yellow building that Oppenheimer (inventor of A-Bomb) lived in. It’s now a community center. You will have to go early as there are only about 4 spaces to park at the Oppenheimer Beach Gate and it’s an easy walk down the old driveway to the beach. Seeing that there is not much parking – you will have most of the beach to yourselves.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Connie

Post by Connie »

Even though we're only a mile from Cruz Bay, does anybody have any ideas on where to park? Last time we had 3 jeeps and we pulled into spaces where trucks were, saw no signs, but all 3 jeeps got tickets.

Thanks all...studying the map. So use to STT.

I'm going to have to get a binder to save all these posts. :D
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

There are a couple pay to park lots right by Wharfside - Slimman's is my favorite. You can park for free over by the tennis courts. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a spot at Mongoose or along the road leading to NPS (only park in the spots along the road!) We always chose Slimman's if he has spots, because he's great :)
psufan

Post by psufan »

You can park in the spaces by the National Park Office after 5:00 PM.

Also, regarding things to do, in February we took a guided kayak snorkel trip with Arawak into the mangroves on the East End. Highly recommend this. By far some of the most interesting snorkeling we have seen in St John and we learned alot from the guides. You can also rent kayaks and get into those bays yourself but keep in mind that it is very skinny water with some easily damaged coral if you aren't careful. At the guides request we snorkeled Otter Creek without fins. Now that we know our way around we will probably do this again on our own.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi Connie, it sounds like you may have parked at the taxi stand by mistake. There is lots of pay parking in town (it's not expensive, think $10 maximum in the evening, even less if you are only there for a couple of hours). All the lots have big signs so you won't miss them. There is also a free (for now) gravel lot just outside town by the tennis courts. It's about a five minute walk.

Anyway, I would start by taking a leisurely drive up the North Shore Road. There are multiple lookouts where you can safely pull over and enjoy the views, take pictures, see the beaches and plot which ones you want to visit etc.

Francis Bay and Maho Bay both offer good snorkeling, soft sand, and shade for a good beach day. Remember that the beaches on St. John generally don't have amenities, so pack beach chairs and a cooler with food and drink (no glass). Francis is my favorite beach on the island.

If you want to visit Trunk, check the cruise ship schedule and try for a day when no boats are in. I tend to go in the later afternoon when it's uncrowded and the light is beautiful.

The guided Reef Bay hike is really cool. There is no way I would go without the guided tour because I am not walking back up that trail haha. You need to sign up in advance by calling the Friends of the National Park store at 340-779-8700. It is $30 per hiker and well worth it.

I guess my biggest advice is not to set a firm plan. A day may come when you just want to hang out at your rental house and sit on that private pocket beach. You won't be able to do and see everything. Heck, I have been over 20 times and still have not seen everything!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
gibber161

Post by gibber161 »

FlaGeorge wrote:In my opinion – the best kept secret beach on STJ is Gibney Beach (aka: Oppenheimer Beach). This is my favorite beach. It is just past Hawksnest. I first found it by swimming around the point from Hawksnest. When the tide is out – you have a nice wide beach that the coconut trees hang over the beach and water. On the far side of the beach is a yellow building that Oppenheimer (inventor of A-Bomb) lived in. It’s now a community center. You will have to go early as there are only about 4 spaces to park at the Oppenheimer Beach Gate and it’s an easy walk down the old driveway to the beach. Seeing that there is not much parking – you will have most of the beach to yourselves.
I concur...lol... :D :D
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Hey, sister.
When are you going to be there?
Love ya.
Jimmy
Connie

Post by Connie »

Hi Jimmy!

We go October 12-19. Wish we were down when you are!

I know you and beautiful Amy will have a great time.

Connie
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

And don't miss happy hour at Joe's Rum Hut, 3.00 drinks, you call it, and great food.
I love going out to Annaberg Ruins, can't get enough of the views.
Also like the easy hike out at Leinster Bay, relatively flat and lovely views.
My all time favorite beach is Maho, get there early, the parking lot fills up quickly in high season.
Hike to Honeymoon, when you arrive at the beach go all the way to the right, great snorkeling around the point.

Hope this helps! :D