Must do' for a first timer on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
silands

Re: Must do' for a first timer on STJ

Post by silands »

Kekoa to Jost is a must the best boat and crew everyone makes you feel so welcome the sail back is the best. Hike over to Honeymoon love it when you get there go to the right usually its empty if you go early. Like most everyone has said start early and don't be upset if you end up "doing nothing" that is when you have the best vacations....slow it down and enjoy 8) 8)
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thanks everyone.....so much to do!

I was reading about the reef bay trip from park service. I was so surprised that they said it was 3 miles. Even if it's downhill most of the way, they were pretty clear that it wasn't easy. AND if conditions on the water change, you would have to walk back up? I don't know if I could take that chance. Let's face it, I'm turning 60 and have had back surgery.

What do you think?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Connie, I remember sitting at the pavilion on the day of the "hike," having just read something they'd asked us to read while waiting, and feeling very nervous! They had warnings posted about the hike, saying that you could still back out and, I believe, be refunded. They made me second, third, and fourth guess myself and ability to do the hike!
After the hike, I felt really silly about my worries. There wasn't one area that I'd have called even the least bit strenuous - it was a slow, casual walk through shady woods - all down hill. The toughest part was the few steps through the water (rocky bottom) to the dinghy. Now getting back up WOULD have been strenuous - but how often does that actually happen? I've never heard of it happening! Maybe you should ask what the cancellation policy is if you chicken out? And definitely watch the weather - it would be slippery if there had been rain but we went in a dry spell.
Just wanted to give you some reassurance - I'm not in shape and found the walk to be just an easy walk...
Connie

Post by Connie »

Sounds good to me then. I have read about on so many forums and I just thought it would be so fun to do!

Thank you for your reassurance! :D
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

We did the hike and loved it. It's not a big deal so don't be worried. My husband had a bicep tendon tear and surgery 2 days before our STJ trip. He had his arm in a cast and sling and did just fine. I carried the backpack with our water and lunch. They offer you walking sticks if you would like to use one. We both took one because we weren't sure what to expect. You have the option to swim to boat or take the dinghy. We took the dinghy because of his arm and it was easy for him to get in the boat ( that was our biggest concern because worried about pulling himself up) no worries! You will enjoy it. We drank a bunch of water so make sure you take plenty. Enjoy?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

One odd thing happened to me on the hike, that I thought I'd warn you about. My hands swelled and that worried me. Use your arms some, to keep the circulation going, and don't just let them hang at your sides the entire time you're walking. It's much warmer there than I'm used to, and that probably contributed to it.
Being that you were already a bit unsure, I thought I'd mention it.
Have fun!
GimmeSun

Post by GimmeSun »

Connie wrote:Even though we're only a mile from Cruz Bay, does anybody have any ideas on where to park? Last time we had 3 jeeps and we pulled into spaces where trucks were, saw no signs, but all 3 jeeps got tickets.

Thanks all...studying the map. So use to STT.

I'm going to have to get a binder to save all these posts. :D
Check with your rental agency. Sometimes they'll let you park free in their lot.
Connie

Post by Connie »

We're renting directly from the owners of the villa. They pick you up at the ferry, stop at Starfish if we want and then hand over the keys. Easy.
jan

Post by jan »

I would park in town and walk the trail behind the National Park building to Honeymoon Beach. Virgin Island Ecotours has a hut there where they have watersports rental and a beach hut. We usually just rent lounge chairs and and a floating mat but they do have kayaks, sup's , snorkel gear and even lockers. They can also order you lunch from the little deli at Caneel and they will bring the food down to the hut. They have great panini's. You can check it out at www.viecotours.com
Connie

Post by Connie »

Can you park at the National Park Building itself?