Letter Writing Can Make a Difference.

Travel discussion for St. John
jimg20

Letter Writing Can Make a Difference.

Post by jimg20 »

I'll bet you don't want to hear another request to write letters about Coral Bay. That's not what this is about.

I'll bet you don't want to hear about another approval that Summers End has received. That's not what this is about either.

I'll bet you DO want to hear about a new setback for them!

Save Coral Bay just posted a message that the US Fish and Wildlife Service just withdrew a $1 million grant to Summers End! The point of this is that you matter. Your letters matter. According to SCB "FWS specifically cited public comment as weighing on their decision to withdraw the grant."

The four agencies, including USFWS, who condemned the project or its lack of substance have moved this project from the approval track to the rejection track. In every case, public comment helped that happen.

It is not over, but the momentum has shifted. One of the reasons that has happened is that you took the time to make a statement.

US FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE WITHDRAWS SUMMERS END GRANT
Today we received a copy of a letter sent by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to the Virgin Islands Department of Planning and Natural Resources (DPNR) listing TWENTY ONE environmental factors that have led FWS to WITHDRAW THE GRANT previously awarded to Summers End Group for the marina in Coral Bay.
Kudos to all of our community letter writers who provided FWS with the evidence that the SEG project did not meet the eligibility criteria of the Boating Infrastructure Grant (BIG) program because of its impacts on the environment. FWS specifically cited public comment as weighing on their decision to withdraw the grant. Under the terms of the letter, the non-obligated portion of the grant, approximately $1 million, will be withdrawn as of June 1. The full text of the FWS letter may be found here - SaveCoralBay.com/fws-grant-withdrawn
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

psufan

Re: Letter Writing Can Make a Difference.

Post by psufan »

:D :D :D :D
Joppa

Re: Letter Writing Can Make a Difference.

Post by Joppa »

I LOVE this! I don't understand how SEG got this far to begin with but The Save Coral Bay group is making great headway in stopping them. To think the key players in SEG thought Coral Bay had nothing. Coral Bay has spirit, intelligence, ingenuity and friends all over the world that SEG wasn't counting on.