Horseback Riding

Travel discussion for St. John
gibber161

Horseback Riding

Post by gibber161 »

Do the stables in Coral Bay actually have horses to ride or are they Donkeys? Do they go on any beaches? Thanks for any help. :D
Ed S

Re: Horseback Riding

Post by Ed S »

They are horses. Ride is more up and down a trail, ending near water, but not actually a ride on a beach. Check out their website for more info. Have only done this once, 12 years ago, while staying on St Thomas, and spending the day on St John for my daughter's birthday. This was actually our very first day on St John ever..... that's when the obsession began :) :) :)
http://horsesstjohn.com/
Image[/url]
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I recently watched an episode of Caribbean Life on HGTV that featured STJ and they showed people riding horses on a beach that wasn't on STJ. There were also several other shots that weren't STJ. The same thing happened on episodes of STJ House Hunters a few years ago. I don't know why they use stock footage of other islands.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
RickG

Post by RickG »

My daughters have ridden with Dana at Carolina Corral many times. She does a trail ride up the Johnny Horn trail and its a beautiful view. My girls did a beach segment the first few years they rode with Dana, but not in recent memory. I heard through my daughters that a couple of the horses liked to roll in the water, regardless of the rider and the tack! Not a big deal, my daughters love Dana, the horses and the animals Dana rescues.

The location of Carolina Corral is convenient to lunch at Skinny Legs, Pickles, Aqua Bistro and (after 2PM) Indigo Grill. My routine is to drop my girls off before a morning ride and then I head out to Haulover Bay for a snorkel.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

The episode of Carribbean Life you mentioned used much stock footage that was not shot on St John. Dana no longer takes the horses on the beaches.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
SeaHorse02

Post by SeaHorse02 »

There is a horseback rescue facility on the east end of St. Thomas called Golden Age Ranch. They offer two hour rides that do go on a beach and in the water as well. Several friends and family members have ridden there with rave reviews of both the people involved and the total experience. If you want to ride on the beach and in the water a ferry ride over might be in order.