Survey: power outages during your stay(s)?

Travel discussion for St. John
hugo

Re: Survey: power outages during your stay(s)?

Post by hugo »

Although st Thomas has had plenty of outages in recent years, many of them have not affected St. John. The current batch of rolling outages is the most ( non-storm related) I can remember in many, many years.. Maybe 25?
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

I have been in the habit of saying "You know, they seem to be getting their act together, and outages are much less frequent these days".

Until now. A mere hour after we had guests settled in at Coconuts on Saturday night, we lost power for several hours. I had spent part of that day installing six power-fail lights at Coconuts; a central plug-in controller/flashlight detects a power outage, and sends an RF signal to the battery powered lights, which turn on. We placed one above the dining room table, another in the kitchen, and the rest in the covered walkways, gazebo, outdoor kitchen, and pool table (essential locations). As I was putting them in, with screwdriver-induced palm stigmata, I mused that my efforts would only rarely be needed. LOL! We were next door at Plumeria, and I used my cell to call the wired phone at Coconuts. Lo and behold, all six power outage lights turned on as planned, and this (along with the gas stoves in both kitchens) helped smooth this otherwise awkward arrival experience. Power was restored in a few hours, but failed again later Saturday evening, to be restored while we were asleep.

We awoke to a beautiful Easter morning, in which we once again lost power for several hours. Finally (should we be so lucky), we lost power Monday night for an unknown number of hours (I gave up and went to bed). Four multi-hour power outages in 48 hours; that seems like a new record! I have no idea what our guests are making of this island's electricity system. I'm not sure what I now think as well.

All the best,

Kevin
mls10

Post by mls10 »

We stayed for a month during January and February this year and lost power only one evening for a few hours. Last year in the same time frame we lost power only for a portion of the Super Bowl, a couple hours also.

It is entertaining to see the villas with generators pop on on an otherwise dark island. The villa we rented had several flashlights, but only citronella candles-not very good for light and too smelly for indoors. Talk to your agent when you arrive. If you wait for an outage, they will be slammed. Outages can play havoc with timers especially on pools.

WAPA is much better than in the "old days" when outages were often, and often long, sometimes days.