JFK to STT

Travel discussion for St. John
DonnaM

JFK to STT

Post by DonnaM »

We are flying out of JFK for the first time. We are planning on staying in an airport hotel the night before. Any recommendations? How early should we arrive at the airport on a Wednesday morning? Probably not checking bags.
This is a last minute trip in late May. Last minute because my darling son couldn't pick dates quickly enough! Newark, Philly and Allentown were all $900 plus. :shock:
Connie

Re: JFK to STT

Post by Connie »

I'm in the same boat for October. One of the problems is the price of parking for a week near the airport. It's so expensive. We're coming from the Philly area and the price for the tickets were great from JFK. Plus, they have direct flights.

Some hotels, for even overnight parking is a first come first served.

Hope somebody will help and lead us in the right direction.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I am going to do some research tomorrow. I quickly looked the other day and the HI Express mentioned having parking and how it's an airport hotel but didn't mention any park and fly rates or how it works.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Sheraton JFK wasn't bad and they had a park and fly rate.
The only bad part is the return. You have to take the train to the hotel pick up area. I hate hauling the luggage around so I usually get the car and circle back to pick up luggage and husband at the terminal.
Connie

Post by Connie »

We have thought out every option.

Do we take the train? Trains aren't cheap anymore and we'd have to leave very early. And do that on the way back. Sounds like a pain to me.

Can't drive up on day of departure because it's a Monday and with NY traffic, we could miss our flight. Parking for the week at Parking Spot is 179.00.

I called the Fairfield Inn which is only .06 miles from the airport. With a King room and parking at 20.00 a night it comes to 369.00.

I called Comfort Inn, which is 2.0 from the airport. Parking is 14.00 a night. With a room it comes to about 247.00.

Both have shuttles. Just wanted to pass this on.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

We love the direct flight from JFK to STT.

Coming home in March our connection out of JFK was cancelled and we had to stay over. We stayed at Garden Inn's and Suites. The room was tiny (not complaining, just saying) but very clean and efficient. The shuttle was great and easy to use. They served a continental breakfast. I can not speak to the parking as we didn't use that.

We paid $117 for the night in a queen room.
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Have you looked into getting a car service to and from your home to the airport? I don't know the rates but I've done it in the past and it's about as convenient as you can get.
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

We flew out of JFK for the first time ever last October because of the cheap non stop flight, we normally fly out of Newark. It couldn't have gone any smoother. We had an 8am flight and the drive there that morning was a breeze! The long term parking is literally a stones throw from the highway. We parked and walked a very short distance to the tram.
Flight home landed at 5pm on a Friday. We were nervous about that, but it went ok. We hit a little traffic on the way home but not too bad.

We would do it again.

I looked into park and fly, but the rates didn't seem much different than just using long term parking and I didn't want to deal with having to shuttle park there after we landed.
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

What time does your flight depart? We drove from Trenton at 440 am and arrived exactly at 6am at long term parking for our 8am flight.
Timo

Post by Timo »

What kind of prices is everyone seeing for JFK-STT for travel this fall? Going back in November over Thanksgiving and trying to find a decent flight non-stop is driving me nuts!! We always try and book our flights to STT way in advance but this year can't seem to find anything under $700.00. Is this what I should expect to pay over Thanksgiving this year? We travel up from LBI area in NJ and never have had a problem with traffic or parking. We parked last time (2012) at Parking Spot and I believe paid in the $125.00 range for 7 days.
GO RU!!!
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Timo, we are finding under $500 each from ROC to STT via JFK on Delta for the last week of Oct into November. Not the best price, but not the highest either. :D
Connie

Post by Connie »

We paid 369 PP from JFK. Direct flight. If we went out of PHL, it would have been over 700 with a layover. That's why we're going out of JFK. Plus, the flight home wouldn't get into PHL until midnight.

Our flight out of JFK is at 8. It just scares me that we could get caught in traffic. I can see it now. Myself, hysterical, crying in the front seat and husband as calm as can be.

Just not use to JFK airport. From my home, it only takes 15 minutes to PHL.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Thanks for the info!! What flight booking sites are you all checking on? We have been looking on Expedia along with with the other common ones such as Cheap Flights and so on. Connie, I can understand your concern with the driving to JFK; one car with a flat tire on the bridge or LIE and, it's a traffic nightmare.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Timo, after ALOT of research, we booked directly through Delta on their website. Haven't gotten a price like that in a long time.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We are 2 hr 38 min. from JFK and our flight departs at 8am. My husband would prefer to use a car service but they would have to pick us up at 3am. I am certainly not willing to drive ourselves especially since we have never been to JFK before. The parking charge won't be terrible because we are only going for 4 nights. With such a short trip, I would like to be well rested before the flight!
I like to search with Orbitz because they let you see seating charts when you are searching. I either book with them or with the airline directly. This flight was AA and I at least got to use miles for 2 of the tickets. I don't normally check prices for JFK so I don't know what is normal but I know they are usually cheaper than EWR and PHL. Plus, the nonstop flights are great to have on such a short trip.
Timo, we had 6 guys here for Easter dinner! So much fun! Go RU!