Villa Help - sunsets!

Travel discussion for St. John
nothintolose

Re: Villa Help - sunsets!

Post by nothintolose »

We stayed on Gifft Hill at Seawatch and liked the sunsets but our pool was FREEZING in late June. It was so cold, we couldn't swim in it. I don't know about the other villas up there, but that was a definite negative for us.

The views from Argonauta...especially the sunsets are AMAZING. We like being out on points so we don't have alot of villas in our view. We would all sit on the covered verandah and watch the sun set every evening...gorgeous!

We were looking at Colibri recently, and I think that has good sunset views. Liamsaunt has stayed there and can let you know for sure.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Check out Sea Cruz.It is on my list. I like the pool view and the covered deck area. Not very big but it might be all you need. Only one problem. I read owner lives on the property
but would go somewhere else if that was a problem.
We will be staying at Bordo Mare mid June so I can let you know or show you sunsets if you would like.
Beach Creecher
mls10

Post by mls10 »

You need to be careful about sunset views as they change during the year. Sol Inclination has great sunsets mid winter, but around mid-February the sun sets behind Gifft Hill, not exactly the sunset over water that I want. So about 60 days before and after Dec. 21, you get sunsets over water (or distant islands), after that over close by Gifft Hill!
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

You might also like Soul Mate. It is in Virgin Grand Estates. If you don't mind stairs, this is a well priced upscale villa with beautiful sunsets. We stayed once several years ago when it was Ellison. The villa is nicely furnished now.
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks for the addl responses!! Good point in time of year, we have been factoring that in.

Wanda please keep me posted on Bordo Mare, we would be similar time of year. Enjoy!!
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

BTW, we also loved sol Inclination, and the views are to die for. We stayed in early November and enjoyed great sunsets. But the view over the entire south shore and all the way over to the south shore of STT can be traded for a sunset. Also, although the villa apoears to be large( and it is) it is a very nice sized villa for 2 as you will only be using the upper propert and not the 3 room guesthouse bedrooms below. We did stay in the guesthouse and friends stayed in the upper house. We were smokers at the time so we were banished to blow our smoke out from the lower level balconies. 10 minutes to Starfish, 20 minutes to the beaches nearer to Cruz, and a half over over Gift Hill and Centerline to Frnncis and Maho. Coral Bay is about a 40 minute ride. The views and having the best dinner views from the outdoor spaces at the house made it all worthwhile. We loved it.
mls10

Post by mls10 »

Are there two or three bedrooms in the lower portion of Sol Inclination? Two, me thinks.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

There are 2 beautiful bedrooms with Queen beds and awesome views from their balconies. 2 bathrooms also. Between them, there is a sitting room with a daybed( think it has a trundle) a mini kitchen, small dining area nice little patio at the entrance. The bedrooms in the upper house are 2 large kings that open outdoors to a common terrace. There is a sitting rom downstairs with a convertible sofa. One of the baths has a claw foot tub as I recall. The views from one of the upstairs baths rival any I have ever had in Peter Bay or the north shore.
Personally I think you should be a seasoned St John veteran to rent this house because it is Definately off the beaten path. Although it could accommodate 8 or 9 it would be just as nice for 2. If you tend to have villa gravity days, this is a house to consider.
mls10

Post by mls10 »

Not only does Sol Inclination have great sunsets between about October 15 and February 15, the hot tub may have spoiled me forever for the night sky in STJ, but maybe that's a different thread.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Been out of the loop for a little while, but easing back in with an almost-7-month old. Not sure if you've chosen your villa already...but we LOOOOOOOOOOVE Apito, and have stayed a few times. However, you will not see full sunsets from here. But you WILL have an AWESOME view of Coral Bay, and you will be SUPER close to Maho, Francis, etc. And Skinny Legs. :) We will be going to other villas for a couple of years until our baby grows up a little. But we'll be back! Two thumbs up for Apito!!!!
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks for the additional suggestion of Apito. And Congrats on the baby :D
I don't know what is wrong with me but cannot settle on a villa! For all our trips over the past 13 years I have never been this hesitant. If you take sunsets out there are so many options, June is going to come quick! Maybe this was the nudge that I needed!
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

We rented Hale Lani for 10 days in August. We were the first people in after the new owners took over. The villa is beautiful even before the new owners started upgrading and improving. It meets all of your criteria. It would be very comfortable for two, and large enough for 8. The third and fourth bedroom, on the lower floors, share a bathroom so he calls them a family suite. The views from both of the upstairs bedrooms, the pool and the indoor and outdoor living rooms are drop dead gorgeous. Sunsets are over the open water or St Thomas, depending on the time of year. There are no other houses visible to you, save for one new house far down Maria Bluff. The driveway is great for 2 or 3 cars.
The entire house is now air-conditioned and all bedding is new. The bedrooms are huge, so if you have children each one can accommodate both a toddler bed and a crib with no problem. I believe the owner has pland for a patio area off the downstairs bedrooms and plans to construct a stairway from that area up to the concrete pool deck. In addition, the grounds adjacent to the main floor are also gorgeous.
The owner and his wife manage the Coconut Coast Villas so they are ready, willing and able to immediately attend to any problem, answer any question , provide concierge service or help out in any way they can. They are offering the villa through VRBO. The price is pretty reasonable for a villa on Maria Bluff with direct ocean views and nothing else but greenery all around.
I have stayed in over 25 villas, large, small, upscale, down market and rat infested in the last 25 years and although this is not the most upscale, it was just about my favorite! If anyone needs pics you can PM me. I just loved this place!( almost as much as Sago Palms, 2B Peter Bay and Island Sun)
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Just to be fair, I did want to tell you that Treasure Ridge has beautiful sunset views, but also has a Wally pool. They only have A/C in the bedrooms. Magic View Villa located in the same area has pretty much the same views, although it only has a dipping pool. Villa Capiz has wonderful panoramic views, a wonderful upper deck for sitting, a great pool and pool deck. But the bedrooms adjoin one another much like adjoining hotel rooms with only a wooden door between them, and, as they are tucked under the house, IMHO they are kind of claustrophobic, like sleeping in a converted garage. One bedroom has a small high window on the side, and both have sliding doors that open to an area under the upstairs deck so that area is dark.. Lots of stairs. There is no interior connection between upstairs and downstairs and the upstairs sliding doors are only secured from inside, requiring you to walk around the house and go upstairs through the kitchen every morning. The price was much lower when we stayed but since it has been raised, it's a lot of $$ for a quirky house.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Coconuts or Hummingbird Hill gets my vote...
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

The Bayview has both sunsets and sunrises. Is private and has a pool.
Bob & Anita