Thinking of visting Virgin Gorda

Travel discussion for St. John
fmzip

Thinking of visting Virgin Gorda

Post by fmzip »

We are planning visiting Virgin Gorda instead of St John or maybe do a week at both.

Are there any St John lovers like myself that have ventured over to the BVI's? Any pros/cons that I should be aware of? Any villa suggestions, areas best to stay at/best to avoid?

We love what St John has to offer and are hoping to find the same on the other side. Thoughts?
PA Girl

Re: Thinking of visting Virgin Gorda

Post by PA Girl »

We have stayed on VG twice, 10 days each time. We rented houses in Mahoe Bay and love that location.

Pros and Cons compared to STJ:

Pros:
Wide range of rentals close to sandy beaches, whether it is a short walk or a very short drive.
Same quality of beaches as STJ.
Great vibe with a predominate West Indian culture and business presence.***
North Sound area is very interesting with water taxi bar hopping.
Much less crowded in high season, beach parking never a problem.

Cons:
Takes a little more effort to reach than STJ, making travel days a long haul.
Grocery stores are very basic.
No Cruz Bay, town is more of a service center for yacht industry and less of a strolling/shopping/eating destination like Cruz Bay. Some may view this as pro.

I wouldn't stay in the North Sound area only because other areas are much closer to the beaches. However, the villa costs in that area are quite reasonable.

***My husband describes VG as "much harder to get to but much easier to enjoy"

For example -

The villa agent arranged our vehicle rental. It was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived and when we left, we simply left the keys under the mat. They told me to leave the gas tank as we found it, which was 1/4 full. No fussing with sand worries, no worrying when our flight was 3 hours delayed.

Cape Air left our bag behind and the villa greeter went back to the airport to pick it up when it arrived. He insisted on doing so, saying it was part of his job.

STJ is still first in my heart and I admit to planning our summer STJ trip while on VG but VG has a lot to offer someone how loves STJ.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Thanks for the input.

Is there much of a cost difference in getting there? Do you fly into Tortola and ferry to VG or can you fly into Gorda? How much is a flight on the puddle jumper from San Juan to BVI?

If I split the two weeks, which route would be easiest, ST John first or last? Thoughts on coordinating a vehicle rental or would I have rent twice?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

The cost difference would depend on the cost to fly to STT vs. EIS (Tortola) or VG.

I can't offer any info on the ferry aside from the fact there is a direct from STT to VG ferry but it only runs two or three times a week. When I looked into that option, we could not make the combo of flights and ferry times work for us.

You can take a ferry from Tortola but I can't offer any info on that option.

We flew direct from SJU to VG twice.

The first time we charted a plane and that was fantastic, quick and easy.

The second time we had tickets on Cape Air. Because it was high season, our flights were over $500 pp, round trip. I could go on and on about that experience and if you want more info, I can PM you. The short version is our inbound flight was delayed for hours and our luggage came a day and an half later. Outbound, our flight was delayed 4 hours and we would have missed our SJU-PHL flight. We called Island Birds and had a charter within 30 minutes. The cost was $1,250 for a 5 seat plane but it saved what would have been a missed flight and a night or two in SJU (this was Presidents weekend so the flights were already sold out.)

I have seen Cape Air flights for $100 one way.

Seaborne definitely flies to EIS and I have seen really low, non-refundable fares.

Air Sunshine also flies to VG but that airline has an interesting reputation for cancellations, leaving very early or very late and random detours on the way to your final destination. This sort of thing doesn't fly with my husband and I didn't even consider using them.

If I was going to split a trip, I think I would do VG first as there is a ferry between VG and STJ. It is much easier to get back to STT from STJ than from VG to EIS or SJU.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have a trip like this planned...we are doing STJ first then going to VG..We will be going over on a Tuesday by Ferry via Tortola and then on to VG and then the reverse on the way back..However I plan on calling as we get alittle closer to time to make sure the ferry is running with the schedule I have looked at. The total ferry cost will be around 200 rnd trip.....I hope we are making the right choice by going over there for a week rather than stay 2 weeks on Stj :roll:
We have been for the day but not for a week...so we'll see how it goes...and what we think...but lots of Forumite's enjoy VG...so it can't be all that bad... :)
[/url]
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

JJShaw wrote:We have a trip like this planned...we are doing STJ first then going to VG..We will be going over on a Tuesday by Ferry via Tortola and then on to VG and then the reverse on the way back..However I plan on calling as we get alittle closer to time to make sure the ferry is running with the schedule I have looked at. The total ferry cost will be around 200 rnd trip.....I hope we are making the right choice by going over there for a week rather than stay 2 weeks on Stj :roll:
We have been for the day but not for a week...so we'll see how it goes...and what we think...but lots of Forumite's enjoy VG...so it can't be all that bad... :)
Are you taking a car over? Silly question but do all the ferry's take off from the same spot on Cruz Bay? How do you know which is which and which goes where?

I'll never forget the first time we took the ferry from Red hook to St john, we just loaded the jeep right on the ferry. Midway, I said to my wife, I hope this Ferry is going to St John :)
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

No, we are renting a Jeep once we get there...and being that's its on a Tuesday and we will already be on STJ..We are taking Inter Island Ferry into West End and then we will need to taxi to Road Town and then take Speedy's to VG. or at least I am thinking this will be the way to go according to the schedules..I am assuming we would leave from the National Park dock...but not sure...maybe someone else will chime in about this as this will be a first for us...and I plan on waiting til a little closer to time and call the ferry services to make sure I am correct and that they are all running as scheduled...we are planning on taking the 11:30 to Tortola and then there is another going to VG at 1:30...I figure that would give us a cpl hours to get to Road Town, but as I said...maybe someone else can chime in with more info than I have....but here's where I got my info: Hope this helps.. :)

http://www.interislandboatservices.com/#!page2/cjg9

http://www.bviferries.com/schedules.html?wkday=3
[/url]
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Love, love, love Virgin Gorda....much quieter and less populated than St John. Check out ferry schedule to and from St John/St Thomas. Less choices for dining out, grocery stores well stocked. I recommend stay at Mango Bay. Staff is wonderful and you get a nice condo/villa. Gino manages and will also arrange a rental jeep. It has a beautiful beach with a great snorkeling reef a short swim out. Faces west, lovely sunsets. Enjoy
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

Hi JJShaw,

You are correct in that the ferry to West End leaves from the National Park dock. You'll get into West End and have to clear in through customs and immigration, which shouldn't take too long, unless you arrive at the same time as one of the large ferries inbound from St Thomas. Also, be aware that the Inter-Island ferry doesn't run quite as on-time as the Red Hook to Cruz Bay ferries. In 2013 we stayed first on Tortola, then ferried to Cruz Bay. The ferry was about 75 minutes late.

Once you clear in, the taxi to Roadtown shouldn't take more than 20-25 minutes depending on traffic. The ferries to/from Virgin Gorda are generally more predictable and tend to run on schedule.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Is there a car ferry?
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

There is no car ferry. Since the BVI and USVI are actually two separate countries, I can't imagine that any rental company would allow you to take their car across, even if there was a car ferry.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Charlie2001 wrote:There is no car ferry. Since the BVI and USVI are actually two separate countries, I can't imagine that any rental company would allow you to take their car across, even if there was a car ferry.
I thought like US/Canada.....well no car ferry answers that.
toni

Post by toni »

We have been visiting St. John since the mid 90s and in 2013 decided to try the BVI's instead. STJ was becoming too busy for us, LOL; we are small town people and not much into night life, prefer quieter scenes.

In 2013 we stayed 3 nights each on VG and Jost and we stayed 4 nights each last year. We added a few nights on STT. too.

It's funny though, I came down with my friend Minde in Feb for a girls trip to STJ and she helped remind me of all the things I liked about the rock, so husband and I are thinking about a STJ trip again this winter.

VG is MUCH slower than St. John. We don't snorkel so I can't comment on that. The ferry rides are fun, the people are LOVELY, very friendly and welcoming.
Villa selection is nowhere near as broad as on St. John and prices seem higher for the most part. Quiet beaches, the Baths are a fun thing to explore, good restaurants though not as many as STJ and not as much nightlife.

Definitely check ferry schedules. We went from STT to VG direct, then back from VG to tortola, taxi to west end then ferried to Jost where we stayed next. Returning it was Jost to west end to cruz bay for customs to red hook.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Yes, what they said :D I agree with everything the others said about VG. We enjoy both StJ and VG - they are different experiences and both wonderful in their own ways. VG definitely is much more of the West Indian culture and slower paced than StJ.

We've been to VG twice, the most recent in Oct 2014. It took me a long time to figure out how we wanted to get there and back, since there are multiple options.

On both trips going down there, we flew from Wash DC to SJU and took Air Sunshine to VG. It was $125 each one way. We didn't have any issues, but I have seen some negative reviews as well. We were on island by 2:30 or 3, which was great. We were met by the car rental person and on our way in no time. The reason we flew from SJU into VG was because it would have been really tight for us to get to STT in time to take the ferry to VG.

On our first trip, we took a ferry from VG to Tortola and spent a few days on Tortola. We flew home to Wash DC from Beef Island. There seemed to be fewer flights into Beef and they more expensive now than it was on our first trip.

For our Oct 2014 trip, we decided to take the ferries to STT and fly home from there. It was less expensive and a better schedule than taking Air Sunshine to SJU and flying home from there. (Mid-week flight schedules during off season were more limited for us.) We got up early, left the rental car at the ferry dock, and took a ferry to Tortola. We waited maybe an hour or so for the ferry from Tortola to STT. Then we flew AA home to Wash DC. It was a long day, but we had no issues. With that said, I have read that the BVI ferries can be very unreliable, so its a bit of a risk to make your flight. If I was going to split the time, I would stay on VG first and StJ second, since its easier and shorter to get to STT from StJ.

We really enjoyed our trips to VG. There are plenty of restaurants and lots of things to do. We love to snorkel and there are some excellent reefs on VG. We stayed at Mahoe Bay at a villa called Adagio. The villa was more expensive than what we pay on StJ, but it was a fabulous villa and 2 minute walk to a beach.

We did a hike up to Gorda Peak where there is a platform with stunning 360 degree views. There were hundreds of little butterflies in the woods along the way which was a delight.

We love to snorkel and had great snorkels right off of several beaches.

The North Sound area is scenic and there are several restaurants to visit. It was fun to take the ferry to the different spots.

If you decide to go, be sure to post on the forum, so those who have been there can give you more tips.

Happy planning!
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Great info...

As much as I'd like to try something new, the convenience factor of what we already know is also a big factor.

What to do.....