Chateau Bordeaux

Travel discussion for St. John
NCSue

Chateau Bordeaux

Post by NCSue »

Was wondering if anyone has been by to see the fence?
Coconuts

Re: Chateau Bordeaux

Post by Coconuts »

Yup, it's there all right. The alternating slats do what was intended, namely, block the view. I have no idea what the motivation of the landowner has been. The most charitable interpretation is that there were potential or actual road safety issues due to in-lane park and gawk vehicles (including tour buses), and folks on foot walking up from the parking area. With the adjacent sharp hairpin turn, this is faintly plausible. The less charitable interpretation is that the landowner was hoping, by denying public access to the view from the road, to somehow drive business to Chateau Bordeaux. If this was their intention, it seems to me that the public reaction has been more along the lines of annoyance and boycott. It is a shame that such an iconic St. John view is now off limits. We'll see how it turns out...

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

I passed it by several times last week… It's actually farther away from the restaurant than I pictured it to be; past the bamboo that was planted to block the view previously.

Once when I was heading east, there was a west-bound safari taxi parked in the road so that the passengers could get out, cross the east-bound lane and peer through the gaps in the fence. The taxi driver was directing traffic…

Not a good situation...
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

It all kind of sucks, if you ask me.
Went by one early afternoon, years ago. We didn't really inquire if the restaurant was open, just stopped at the outside bar for a drink as we were cruising around.
We were the only people there and the bartender was on "island time", but pretty right on.
The lousy reviews about what's going on now with the management/ owners, just makes me want to blow off giving them my business.
Strange to me;
Ok-
We have no idea regarding their reasons for causing such a fuss about blocking the view.
It could be as simple as the owners being like a miser due to the view, and as owners, they're evidently wealthy enough to not be concerned by missing out on the tourist dollars. Maybe they just got tired of people using the free rest rooms...
Or, as much as the term we "get it", regarding STJ concerns- we don't have the ownership values that the said business owner upholds.
THAT'S why we've poured thousands and thousands of dollars into years worth of vacations, supporting the local economy,and professing our love for all that lives there.
Nobody likes rude people being ignorant in their backyard, and I get that.
Nobody likes going to a restaurant and the staff be rude, either. We're not window shopping, we're there to buy.
But if they "get it", why all the negative reviews?
Why put themselves through the constant negativity of being a popular destination owner if they can sell it all, and move somewhere away from the service industry so everybody can be happy?
Beats me.
Want to feel bad for them, but I won't.
Don't have the energy to be that stubborn, I don't think. It's actually pretty easy not going there, if you ask me. There are wonderful views to be found where people would actually be happy to see us.
Smiles-
MJ
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

We saw the fence when we where there a few weeks ago. Like Randy said, it's farther from the restaurant than I thought it would be.

We didn't do 8 Tuff this year :( but having done it the 3 prior years, I can say that every glimpse of beautiful blue water along the route helps! A fence view... not so much.

People love STJ because so much of the island is National Park land, preserving the beaches and trails (and views!) for everyone to freely share. Doesn't putting up a fence to block the view seem to be the antithesis of that? I'm sure the owners of Chateau Bordeaux enjoy countless views from spots they don't own.
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

I drove by the fence yesterday. It is probably 100 yards from where the restaurant is. I would never think to stop there, but it does block the view.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I have not seen the fence yet (soon come), but I have to question whether it is on private property or the highway right-of-way.

If it is on private property, they have the right to do as they wish with their property. We too have the right to do as we wish with our money. It is clear that many of you have made that choice and will continue to do so.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....