Sirenusa poisoning - any update?

Travel discussion for St. John
HughA

Sirenusa poisoning - any update?

Post by HughA »

The last info I have seen was dated April 9 and had the two boys still in comas, Dad conscious but not moving and Mom in occupational/physical therapy. Has anyone heard anything since. Hoping for good news.
Thanks
ms411

Re: Sirenusa poisoning - any update?

Post by ms411 »

EPA still in early stages of investigating and trying to determine how widespread misuse has been. No good news yet. Supposedly the family initially thought they had food poisoning, so did not immediately seek medical advice. Terrible tragedy.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Tradewinds posted an article yesterday (4/22) about this situation. The investigation led back to Puerto Rico, which seems to be the source of the pesticide in STT/STJ. The article says the EPA investigation has found possible mis-use in various locations in Puerto Rico. I have the impression from the article that the problem of using this pesticide improperly may be more wide-spread in the islands than originally thought. I was thinking perhaps it was a one-time mistake on someone's part at Sirenusa, but perhaps not. Its a scary thing, since you have no idea if this toxic substance is present in your rented dwelling. I look forward to hearing the "the rest of the story" and I hope all the information will be released to the public when the investigation is completed.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Nothing has changed, especially in the boys. Still in Children's hospital. Mother is out and still doing therapy. Father still in another hospital. Sad.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
HughA

Post by HughA »

Was hoping for some better news. Are the boys still in comas or have they awakened?
Connie

Post by Connie »

The boys are non responsive still.
ms411

Post by ms411 »

The Terminix StThomas manager who used the chemical improperly has been stripped of his certification so he can no longer use that chemical in the VI. One exterminator that has it in his facility uses it only for intended use and his supply may not be under quarantine. Other exterminators on St Croix have been named for withering ordering the chemical or having it in their possession.

The EPA, as far as we know, has not yet authorized rental of the two condos that tested positive. Some exterminators have sent letters to all their clients with detailed lists of all chemicals used as a reminder, though most probably don't know what those chemicals are and how they should be used.

Extremely sad still.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Connie wrote:The boys are non responsive still.
I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to this family.
Connie

Post by Connie »

There was a report today on our local news. The Father is now stable, but the boys are still critical.
HughA

Post by HughA »

Thanks for the info Connie. Please keep us posted. So want to hear that the boys are awake.