underwater cameras

Travel discussion for St. John
NCSue

underwater cameras

Post by NCSue »

Hey all...question time. We typically use a Canon point and shoot with an underwater housing. We're looking at buying a new one....anyone have suggestions Either for underwater cameras or the point and shoots with housing.

Thanks!
Dave C

Re: underwater cameras

Post by Dave C »

I have used a Canon D 10 point and shoot for the past 4 years with great results. It is Water, Shock and Freeze proof. Canons newest version is the D 30, they are about $350. That being said, there are many similar comparable cameras from different manufacturers on he market.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Go pro is an excellent choice. As a dive instructor I see a ton of them with customers.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Check out the Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-3 Digital Camera. I was in the same boat - wanted a point & Shoot, but wanted something that was waterproof. This camera is great and take great pictures and movies. Waterproof to 50 feet. It is a tough little camera with a large screen. I'm glad we got it.

FlaGeorge
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
jsauls1

Post by jsauls1 »

Garmin will be coming out with a new version of the Virb in June 2015 , it is the XE model and you can dive to 50m without a waterproof case. It's suppose to rival the GoPro4 , the only difference is it does not film in 4K.
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

I had good luck with the Fujifilm XP70. Very compact, waterproof to 50'. Got it at Costco in a bundle with SD card, soft case and float strap for 150.
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

I can offer up one that you should avoid! I purchased the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS25D from Amazon and quickly returned it. The seal failed miserably. I'll be shopping again soon too.
thompson27502

Post by thompson27502 »

We just took our Nikon CoolPix S32 with us on the last trip (March) and it was great. Underwater pics and videos were great. I have seen a lot of videos from the GoPros and they're also pretty awesome.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

My kids use a Pentax Optio for underwater videos and it has been great. I bought it on Amazon and it has been on two trips with us. To be honest, we haven't really read up on the settings, so the underwater shots have varying color tones. They probably could be improved but still look good.

Here are two videos my daughter made with the camera (the filming was from the camera; she used iMovie to splice together the clips):
http://newsofstjohn.com/2015/04/17/st-j ... ion-video/

I also bought this wrist strap so we don't lose it: http://www.amazon.com/Optio-Digital-Und ... B9R42JRZF9
Boxer5

Post by Boxer5 »

NCSue wrote:Hey all...question time. We typically use a Canon point and shoot with an underwater housing. We're looking at buying a new one....anyone have suggestions Either for underwater cameras or the point and shoots with housing.

Thanks!
I bought a FugiFilm Digital Camera XP70 Series. It takes pictures 33 feet underwater. I haven't used it yet for underwater as I won't be in St. John until Aug. It takes great still photos.
Boxer5
inuny

Post by inuny »

Ditto Jeff and Cindy's problem with the Panasonic Lumix. We got one as a gift for our last trip to St John-it died on day 3 (it got wet inside). We were able to save the card and retrieve the photos-some were nice, but overall the colors were not too good. Camera was returned to amazon
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Another vote for the GoPro. Admittedly they're not cheap, but put one of them in their underwater housing with flat lens and it'll be hard to find anything that performs better. I love ours, it gets awesome photos & video.
Bryan
awardb

Post by awardb »

Another vote for the Olympus TOUGH TG-3 camera. After having 2 Panasonic cameras in 2 years with seals that failed, this'll be the 3rd year on the Olympus, and it's got a huge LCD and takes great pics underwater. A winner.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

I got a GoPro knock off for $89 which included the underwater housing and many other attachments, 32 GB mini card and a selfie stick. It is a DBPower SJ4000 and I got it on Amazon. Has WiFi too. It takes nice pictures and underwater movies in HD.
lablover

Post by lablover »

I've been researching an underwater camera for a while. I have been using a Canon D10 for the last 5 years and have been pretty happy but ready to upgrade. I think I'm going to go with the Olympus TG-4 that is supposed to come out this week. Hopefully in time for our trip later in June.