Trip Report: Family Wedding Celebration

Travel discussion for St. John
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Apr 25, 2015, 3:20 PM
Just back from a 10 day stay on island to celebrate our daughter's wedding. We were lucky enough to have over thirty family members and good friends of the couple join us for the festivities.

Most of us rented our jeeps with Discount Car Rental on STT. June at Discount was very helpful putting together the group rentals and offering our guests a discounted rate. All went smoothly with the car barges this trip- each time we pulled right up and onto a barge with no wait.

We stayed at Bay Rum Breeze villa on Mamey Peak and it suited our needs perfectly-it's mid island location, it's suitability for entertaining and it's breathtaking views and comfortable accommodations were wonderful.( Thanks so much Cleobeach and Diana among others for suggesting it ) Other family members rented Coral Oasis on Mamey Peak, Great Turtle villa on Majestic Mile and the bridal party rented Villa Serendipity in Chocolate Hole - all lovely villas. Others rented in Coral Bay and Maria Bluff and some of the kid's stayed in town some nights when they didn't have cars. Everyone enjoyed some private vacation time and then also came together for group activities- some highlights:

We all met for a "meet and greet"party at Joe's Rum Hut. They did a set up on the beach with our own bartender (shout out to Megan !), nicely decorated tables, tiki torches and great appetizers and pizza.

We had a group beach day on Cinnamon Bay Beach and Sam and Jack's provided us with delicious sandwiches and fresh fruit.

We did a group hike up Rams Head and all enjoyed a champagne toast and made a wish for the soon to be wed couple by tossing a rock off the peak. Legend has it if your rock hits the water without touching land your wish will come true.

The first look pictures were done at Francis and then the ceremony was at Annanberg Plantation. A beautiful site for a beautiful bride !

We partied afterward at Virgin Fire - we apologize for closing the restaurant for the night but we had a blast. The food was very good (the tuna tartar app yum ! ) They did a nice slideshow of the pictures of the kid's growing up that was moving to watch over dinner ( at least for Mom !)

We enjoyed some meals out at the restaurants (top picks Aqua Bistro for dinner, Miss Lucy's for lunch and I liked the food at Indigo Grill too) (Best ice cream at Ekete (spelling ?) Pink Corner and I liked the new Dolphin market in Coral Bay-friendly people)and we enjoyed having guests at the villa. One evening my sister's and their families came for a barbecue -we had 15 people and Bay Rum Breeze is so well equipped with dishes, glassware,etc. (sometimes at home on a holiday I'm scrounging for enough forks) that going from apps to dessert was a breeze.

Some of the kids went diving, the guys went fishing (we enjoyed their Mahi and Wahoo at above barbeque Yum!) We enjoyed snorkeling - my favorite -off the trail to Waterlemon. There were tiny annoying jellyfish in the water here and at Salomon but the visibility was good. I splurged on one of the new Triborg full face snorkels and I like it. Pros: no Joker like mask face after snorkeling, full view with no fogging, no jaw fatigue from clenching mouthpiece

Cons:there is some pressure even if you don't dive down and you have to endure the ribbing about Power Rangers, Teletubbies and Aliens.

We were blessed with dry weather, nice breezes (except when our kite fell from the sky while having cocktails on Peace Hill)and clear water and sky. You can see the island needs water -it's much less lush and green since we last visited in November - but still as beautiful as always. May soaking rains come every night as people sleep.

The only downside to our trip - I hate to say it is the crowds. We've often visited this time of year for the pleasant weather conditions and the lower rental rates and I've never seen it this crowded. We're seclusion seekers and get up early and often enjoyed solitude on some of the beaches you have to hike to. Now you almost have to sleep on the beach to get that kind of privacy. At 7:45am Gibney, Dennis, Jumbie,Lamshur, Francis,Salomon- multiple spots filled. Same thing late afternoon and during the day the kids who had slept in had a hard time finding a spot anywhere. I know all these people have fallen in love with ST John just as we have but I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit I miss the quieter times of the past. I think we'll only visit in the off off season from now on.

Overall we had a fun time with family and friends joining us and look forward someday to another group trip with grandchildren !
PA Girl

Re: Trip Report: Family Wedding Celebration

Post by PA Girl »

I am so pleased you liked the house. Diana sold me on it so I am glad to pay it forward.

I so enjoyed reading about the wedding. What a wonderful celebration for your family. I hope our son gets married on STJ and we can do something similar.
island5

Post by island5 »

My niece is getting married soon and I've been trying to talk her into a destination wedding (specifically St John!) so your trip report is welcome. My family (somewhat extended) have booked Villa Serendipity for 11 days this summer so I was pretty excited to see that someone has stayed there recently. Can you tell me anything more about what the wedding party thought of the villa? The good, bad and the ugly (or beautiful - I'm open). Thanks and thanks for the trip report.
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Island 5,
My daughter was very pleased with Villa Serendipity. I spent the day of the wedding there doing hair and makeup and I agree it's a great villa - full AC nice on that side of the island. The rooms are updated, nicely decorated, the views plentiful throughout and the outside areas are great. They could view the sea life - turtles and rays etc. below. The kitchen was very well equipped.
The only downside is the stalled Pond Bay development below but they just looked in the other direction out to sea. The road up to the house is exciting but the views make it worthwhile. The house is for sale so they may ask to show it but it would be your choice.
I'm sure you'll have a great time there - enjoy.
island5

Post by island5 »

Thanks so much for your reply - just what I wanted to hear! Given my druthers we would've stayed on the Coral Bay side but a portion of the gang wanted to be closer to town so...Now just 88 days to go.