Concordia tips?

Travel discussion for St. John
jpa

Concordia tips?

Post by jpa »

Hello- Traveling to St. John in May and staying at Concordia. I've been to St. John twice but have never stayed at Concordia, so I was wondering if anyone who has stayed there might be willing to offer any tips from their experience. Anything in particular we should bring, plan on, etc.? Many thanks in advance for any info!

On a side note, it's been 10 years since my last trip to St. John- I was on this forum often back then, and it is nice to be back reading everyone's trip reports and commentary- looking forward to providing the same after my trip!
Nancie-Pa

Re: Concordia tips?

Post by Nancie-Pa »

I'll be interested in hearing about you're stay at Concordia. This trip I'm bringing a friend along so I'll be staying in a 2 bd, 2 bath place in Cruz Bay area. But normally I travel alone and since Maho Campgrounds has closed Concordia was my next choice. Hope you have a fun time and I'm looking forward to your TR. :D
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
kklay

Post by kklay »

I have always wanted to stop at Concordia and look around, maybe have a bite to eat. I believe I have also read where there is a gift shop? Can anyone provide feedback? We usually stay on the Cruz Bay side of the island but we always get to Little Lamshur at least once. Hope to stop on our November trip!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We stayed in an efficiency unit (not a tent) in 2006 for a few days before we moved to a villa. We really enjoyed our stay there. Its on our list to stay there again some time.

You may know that there are a lot of stairs, and it wasn't well lit (when we were there). We brought headlamps (flashlight with an elastic band to wear around your head). This made it much easier to carry gear, groceries, whatever, to our unit when it was dark. Be sure to carry a flashlight if you go out for the evening, as its helpful to have when you return.

The efficiency unit had a full kitchen and it had enough utensils and pans for preparing simple meals. There was a fan over the bed, and a big floor fan. It was hot in April that year, so we needed both of them.

We had to bring our own beach towels, as they did not provide them. I think they sell them in their little store as well. Other than towels and headlamps, I can't think of anything else that we needed other than the usual stuff we bring on every trip.

We stopped by there a few years ago after snorkeling at Lameshur and ate dinner at the restaurant. The menu was limited, but the food was good and the views are fabulous. I think we had called from our villa that morning to make sure they were serving dinner that night.

Re: gift shop. The website says they sell breakfast items, batteries, beach towels, ice cream and other items. When we stopped by a few years ago, I recall it was a fairly small shop with a variety of items. (The shop wasn't there in 2006.)
http://www.concordiaeco-resort.com/amenities/

Have a fun trip!
loria

Post by loria »

do you know where your tent is (if it's a tent?)
do bring beach towels. remember to fill up your shower in the morning or evening before -- so it is hot in the afternoon when you want a shower.
The kitchen this year is amazing-- really good and open mic night is on mondays 4:30-6:30 and it is a lot of fun.
some of the newer tents have an electric cooler type of thing -- if you turn it all the way up -- EVERYTHING will freeze.... so be aware.....

lost a lot of produce that way !

make sure you keep all of your food in bins...... if i think of anything else. i will let you know!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath unit up on the hill for 3 nights. There were 4 of us and the views were great. The unit had a nice living room and deck and an open 2nd floor bedroom. There were ceiling fans and box fans, which we needed both, but it was usually cool by morning. There were a lot of stairs, we were above the restaurant and pool, so going down was good, up a bit more work, but doable. I was in a boot after being off my foot for 4 months, but managed fine. Also hiked down to salt pond,no problem! The restaurant is great, great views and wonderful staff. The manager grew up down the hill from our house in MA!! Small world! The unit had a small, but workable kitchen, but we only cooked on the grills down at the pool. We used the store a bit and the staff was very helpful. I would do it again but will say, it can be as expensive as a small villa. Enjoy your stay and let us all know how it goes!
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based Image
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

The comment about storing food in bins reminded me of an item we take on all trips. Ziploc bags of various sizes to store our food and take miscellaneous items to the beach. Its really important to store your food in sealed containers in the Caribbean. We've had ants and birds help themselves to bananas and tomatoes left out on the counter of our villa. We always designate one grocery bag or ziploc bag for trash, so we don't leave anything behind on the beach or hiking trails.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We're big fans of stopping at Concordia for happy hour. Great views. Its an early crowd.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
kklay

Post by kklay »

Stopping for HAPPY HOUR sounds like a plan! 8)
jpa

Post by jpa »

loria wrote:do you know where your tent is (if it's a tent?)
We're in one of the Premium Eco-tents, not sure which one yet.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback! Really appreciate it, very excited to get there...
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

Here is my advice:

1. Pack light. There are lots of stairs, especially to the premium tents that have the best view and breezes. They are mid hill and have amazing views of Salt Pond and Drunk Bay. Swimwear, a few pairs a shorts and a few t-shirts are all you need. No one cares what you are wearing on St. John, especially on the Coral Bay side, so you might as well be comfortable. There is a washer and dryer available for guests and they provide biodegradable laundry detergent, so no need to pack detergent, either. The washer and dryer are located along the boardwalk just past the pool.

2. Rent a 4-wheel drive. It's possible to get by without a vehicle (the bus stops at the Concordia entrance in front of the Tourist Trap and hitch-hiking is both safe and common on island) but you will enjoy your stay much more if you have wheels at your disposal.

3. Toilets are composting. Be careful about water use when flushing. Use just enough to get the job done.

4. Showers are rainwater stored in cisterns which are then pumped (by you) into a storage tank above your head. The tanks are painted black to heat the water naturally. I like a nice cool shower after a day at the beach, so I keep the tank as empty as possible. The water coming from the cistern is much cooler than the water that has been sitting in the tank all day.

4. Potable water is drawn from faucets outside the tents. A few tens will share a faucet, so it may not be right outside your door. The tent will have gallon jugs for your use.

5. I echo other comments about keeping food in the provided plastic bins. There are lots of critters and they love peanut butter. If you have leftover food, don't throw it in your trash can. Throw it over the side of your tent. One of the coolest and most unique things about Concordia is the army of hermit crabs. They are little garbage disposals and will eat pretty much anything. Toss a banana peel over the rail and watch the show. They will be all over it. And no ants in your trash can.

6. Depending on the time of year and weather, bugs can be pretty bad. Come prepared with whatever bug juice works best for you. Expect spiders, lizards and other critters to be in your tents. The floor is a deck and there are cracks.

7. Remember to close your windows -- at least most of the way -- when you leave for the day. St. John get rain showers almost every day.

8. There won't be air conditioning or cabana boys serving you drinks with umbrellas. Just remember, this isn't the Westin. It's way better than the Westin.

9. Above all else, enjoy your stay! The folks at Concordia are the BEST!