Stinging Plankton???

Travel discussion for St. John
GratefulDad

Re: Stinging Plankton???

Post by GratefulDad »

Not looking for and argument just solid scientific data. If I believed every article on google about climate change, we all should either be dead by now or living in another ice age.
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

We are headed to Yost tomorrow & will arrive in STJ 4 days later . I'll post a report when we get in the waters ! I can't wait to jump in the warm water & hope we don't get stung !! Got Benadryl packed & am going to pack meat tenderizer just in case . . . .
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Loverotties, it's Jost not Yost. I had a nice rotti at Foxy's last week. Wish I was eating one now.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Here's my two cents- there appears robe two things in the water- jellyfish eggs which are harmless and plankton known as sea live- worse name than it really is. I have been in the water four times this week. Total I have gotten a temporary sting 4 or 5 times. The sting comes from the plankton it I have not needed any treatment afterwards. It appears they sting more on people when they are standing still versus snorkeling though it can happy. I had no redness, bumps, or itchiness once oyt the water. I think they are annoying more than anything but understand everyone's tolerance is different. For those worried- I was at North Haulover, Maho, Hawsknest andFrank.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

We had a fair amount of stings at Maho on the 22nd - it was worse while we were standing in shallower water playing frisbee. The 23rd was Leinster and they were really thick. The 24th was Francis and I only got a couple. The next couple days we were south shore and had no problems. Monday was Hawksnest and I got no stings. Perhaps the worst has past? I have a pretty strong reaction to them - I'm still itchy, although it has calmed down quite a bit. One of our group used vinegar with good results, and once I got home I used my daughter's jellyfish sting cream (she reacts very strongly) and that seemed to help as well. It was annoying, but it never kept me out of the water and I would do it all again without hesitation.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

michigan girls wrote: It was annoying, but it never kept me out of the water and I would do it all again without hesitation.
That's what I'm talkin' about, sister.
I love your Moxy.
Leslie-
Looking forward to see yous two!
Smiles-
MJ
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

all natural remedies are best. If - you get stung by sea lice or insects the meat tenderizer breaks down the proteins from the venom. Coconut oil works as a soother very well in addition. Someone said "don't use meat tenderizer is spreads the issue"... they are incorrect and not basing their response on science & data. Tenderizer breaks it down & disperses so your body can attack & conquer.
augie

Post by augie »

In this picture you can see some of the jellysish larvae in what looks like little pods.
2015_05_01_33.jpg
Last edited by augie on Sun May 03, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see us!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Thanks for the photo, Steve.
Hopefully we'll be able to steer clear of seeing anything like that before we get stung.
Amy & I can't wait to finally meet yous guys!
Leslie already mentioned what she'd like, but if you have a hankering for anything from the states, shoot me a PM. Gonna' send it out Monday. Express.
I can't believe we'll be down there in 6 days. I really can't.
Smiles-
Jimmy & Amy
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Any updates on the plankton? Still prevalent? Thanks!
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

Eric on St John
jpa

Post by jpa »

Just returned last night and will be posting a full report, but in the meantime I can tell you that we ran into these little buggers at Jumbie, Trunk, Maho, and Waterlemon. Nothing at Great/Little Lameshur and Salt Pond (though we did run into them snorkeling off of Blue Cobblestone). Thickest was around the island at Waterlemon- no avoiding them there! Everyone seems to react differently. In 6 days I only got two stings that I really felt, but my girlfriend was more sensitive and was left with a lot of little bug bite type marks. I did notice that they seemed to be more prevalent closer to rocks than out in open water, but not sure if that is the case everywhere.

We both wore rash guards which seemed to help, but of course I ran into someone on the beach who said that rash guards make it worse because they get stuck inside your shirt..who knows!

Bottom line- even if they are not ideal, they didn't slow us down and the snorkeling was absolutely amazing. As a previous poster said I would jump back in the water in a second (especially as I sit back in my office today)...
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

We will be arriving Sunday, 5/24.
Looking for an update on the "stinging plankton".
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Susan and Herb, do any swimming yet? How's the plankton?
gobucs

Post by gobucs »

Here now and they are bad at Francis, Maho, and Hawksnest