Water temp in Oct ?

Travel discussion for St. John
philbetm

Water temp in Oct ?

Post by philbetm »

Hi All,
For the past 13+ years that we have been coming to the Island it has always been somewhere between the months of April, May, June and July . This year we are thinking of waiting until mid-Oct. to come over for our 28th anniversary. Don't have a clue as to how warm or calm the water is at that time. Love to hear from all those that go in October !

Sherry in SC
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Coconuts

Re: Water temp in Oct ?

Post by Coconuts »

Sherry: In a nutshell, "really nice and warm". It isn't until December that the ocean warmth picked up during the summer months finally begins to abate. My measurements with our villa Thermapen food thermometers match the numbers reported from the VIERS / NOAA temperature probe six feet deep in Lameshur Bay; a plot of ocean temperature for all of October, 2014 is plotted in the link below:

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physoc ... interval=6

Globally, 2014 was the warmest year ever, since record keeping began in 1880. Nine of the ten warmest years ever have occurred in this still very young 21st century. Bit of a trend, ya think? We are beginning to sense, though, that when it comes to St. John, ever warmer oceans may be a mixed blessing; it will be interesting to see how we fare with Sargassum this year; last year was the worst for Sargassum in memory. 2015 has brought widespread reports of stinging thimble jellyfish larvae, something that I never encountered in nearly twenty years of visiting St. John. Interesting times...

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Average water temp is 82 - 83 in summer and 79 - 80 in winter, depending on the source you use for info. That would put Oct in the middle of the range. When we wen in October some years ago it was 82.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Gidget: It is warmer than that. Last year in early October, I routinely measured 86 degrees in mid-afternoon on North Shore beaches, using our calibrated villa Thermapens: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/the ... mapen.html.
I'm a bit of a temperature geek, and go through the extra step of performing an ice bath / boiling water calibration and internal trim of the Thermapens, which increases their accuracy.

All the best,

Kevin
BostontoSTJ

Post by BostontoSTJ »

Water temp = Perfect in October.
inuny

Post by inuny »

Kevin measured the temp when we were there in September-88!! You couldn't get me out of the water-I was snorkeling all over.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We've become sissys and don't do as much swimming in the winter as we used to. We love October/November water temps and we're spending a month in the islands during that time this year.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
kklay

Post by kklay »

We typically go in Mid to late November and have been there the last week in October. I find the water warmer than say in the March timeframe.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Thanks to you all....sounds like October would still be a prime water time ! I am more of a sissy now as well. I just can't get in the cold water around home or at the SC beaches anymore....Lupus triggered arthritis in all the joints as well as my chest and back....cold water is painful . But the best treatment is the beautiful water and chair in the sand on STJ ! :lol: Rick.....A MONTH in the Islands, I am :mrgreen: with envy ! Coconuts, I keep looking at "Coconuts" for us to spend our time at....10 days I hope ! :D

Thanks again,
Sherry
kklay

Post by kklay »

I understand the arthritis thing! The last two winters in OHIO have been brutal! Can't wait for retirement when I can spend more time in WARM climates when the cold invades Ohio. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time celebrating your anniversary in October.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Perfect water temps. Perfect amounts of people. We love October!

Coming back down this year for Halloween! Boo! :D
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

kklay... :( sorry about the arthritis....I feel your pain but, :D happy for you that when you retire you'll get more Island time !!
ski2play....Looks like October for sure !!! :lol: