Anyone rented from Avis lately?

Travel discussion for St. John
Teresa_Rae

Anyone rented from Avis lately?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I think we rented from Avis in 2003 but if we did, that was last time. Until our last trip, we always rented from Budget but the service was so horrific lately that we switched to Amalie.

I love Amalie, but they definitely charge more, so I'm wondering if Avis is a good option?

We stopped using Budget because of extremely long waits for vehicles. On our last 3 trips we waited as long as 2 hours for a Jeep and narrowly avoided missing the car barge on one of those trips. If Avis is the same way, I don't want to rent from them, but if they have good service, they'll save me money over Amalie.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
cocosmom

Re: Anyone rented from Avis lately?

Post by cocosmom »

Teresa,
If you are willing to rent on STJ and you stay at Cruz Views, they have some jeeps to rent. The jeep is parked in the ferry area and you follow them up to CV and sign papers. We had a very new jeep.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Thanks, but with two kids and two car seats, loading up everything once at the airport is extremely preferable :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

We have only rented from Avis - 7 times in the last 7 years (last rental in June 2014). Sedans in the first few years, and 4 door jeep wranglers the past few years (so we could get to Lameshure and more easily down to the lower lot at Francis). I make a beeline to the Avis counter while my wife waits for our checked luggage. I only recall one time (Dec. 2013) where we needed to wait 20-30 minutes for them to bring our jeep to the airport (from their offsite location). Not a big deal, ususally in and out of there quickly. I get the impression that they do not have a large fleet of jeeps, so you should book as early as possible.
Image[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

Avis has been good for use, except when we've been significantly delayed. I've been charged for a missed day and then not had a vehicle ready when we arrived. Last June we were delayed and Avid did let us transfer the vehicle to one of our travel mates. Avis has a larger variety of vehicles than most of the local firms. When we reserve a SUV we've gotten Ford Explorers or Durangos. For week-long rentals we prefer Amalie's customer service.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI