Good Summer/Beach Reads

Travel discussion for St. John
psufan

Good Summer/Beach Reads

Post by psufan »

I am looking for suggestions for good summer/beach reads. I have seen threads like this in the past and have read some awesome books as a result. I haven't seen one recently so I thought I would start this time. I just finished reading Girl on the Train. It is a quick read and very engrossing. I also recently read An Embarrassment of Mangoes, also a good read with lots of tropical recipes to try. Now I need something new to read. Any suggestions?
liamsaunt

Re: Good Summer/Beach Reads

Post by liamsaunt »

I love threads like this and am always looking for suggestions too. Here are some things I have read recently that would work for beach reading:

Anita Diamant: The Boston Girl

Sara Gruen: At the Waters Edge

David Vann: Aquarium

Anne Tyler: A Spool of Blue Thread

Andre Dubus III: Dirty Love

Not really beach reading but I also want to put in plugs for the Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and Redeployment by Phil Klay if you have not read those yet.

Finally, since you said you liked the Girl on the Train, there is a new book out called Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll that is supposed to be similar. I have not read it yet, but it is loaded on my ipad.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
psufan

Post by psufan »

Thanks for the suggestions. Have you read the Robert Galbraith books (aka JK Rowling)? Cuckoo's Calling followed by The Silkworm. Looks like the start of a series. I found them both entertaining but the first one was my favorite.
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

I like Jill Shalvis, Robyn Carr and Brenda Novak.
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Just finished The Golan and the Jinni. Amazing book.
Also enjoyed Middlesex
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

psufan

Post by psufan »

Thanks for posting this article. I am certain to find several good books to keep me occupied this summer.
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Huffington Post just released "21 books from last 5 years that every woman should read" in looking at list would say applies to men too!

Was curious about this one, has anyone read? Land of love and drowning: a novel by Tiphanie Yaniqye. Described as taking place on St Thomas, not necessarily a light beach read, but intriguing.
I don't recall seeing this one brought up, some other good ones on that list too.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Rebubula wrote:Was curious about this one, has anyone read? Land of love and drowning: a novel by Tiphanie Yaniqye. Described as taking place on St Thomas, not necessarily a light beach read, but intriguing.
I don't recall seeing this one brought up, some other good ones on that list too.
I read it a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to more stories from this author. I will be frank and say that parts of it are a little disturbing to read (incest, horrible racism). Does not qualify as a beach read at all in my opinion. That said, stick with it, the story will pull you in.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Not sure whether this qualifies as a beach read or not, but I have Housebreaking coming. NYT review sounded good enough that I bought hard copy. I will report back after I read it. For super light and kind of funny, the Miss Fortune books are good.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.