Splitting a Trip Between 2 Villas?

Travel discussion for St. John
Teresa_Rae

Splitting a Trip Between 2 Villas?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I know that a few of you have stayed at 2 villas in a single trip so I'm looking for pros and cons.

Basically, VRBO had a glitch and I stopped getting emails from the owner at the property we wanted and it got rented for half of our trip. If we were to stay there, it would only be for 5 nights and we'd have to stay elsewhere for the other 5 nights.

I'm looking for opinions from those who have done this before. Do you lose a lot of time on "moving day?" Is it worth it?

Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jofus

Re: Splitting a Trip Between 2 Villas?

Post by jofus »

Go for it! I really enjoyed out "split villa" trip. I didn't feel like we lost any time. I explained our situation to the rental agency. Last night at the 1st villa we packed up what we had to, got out in the morning, went and dropped off out luggage at the 2nd villa, went to a beach for a few hours then went and "checked in to the 2nd villa. We had a soft cooler bag with us so even transferring what food we had wasn't a problem.

jofus
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

We have stayed one week in one villa and a week in another. I would not want to do it again unless you can move your stuff in early. I felt like we lost a day
even though they let us in a little early. The person who said we could get in early was out to lunch and the other people said we could not once we got to the management co. We stayed by the pool but the cleaning people were there. They must have felt rushed because they didn't do their job well. If you do it I would talk to the villa co. first. It might not be a problem if no one is checking out that day.
Beach Creecher
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

We have done this our last three trips with no issues although we have done so through the same agency, Private Homes. We go for two weeks (less is just not enough and more would be really dangerous :D ) letting friends and family know the first week is open to tag along if they wish but the second is just for us. We have a favorite villa but do not need A/C and as some may like A/C we rent the first week at one with it. We travel very light to STJ so 'moving' really is as long as it takes to drive to the next villa.
Funny enough, this trip everyone likes our favorite villa so much we are staying the 2 weeks there. Now if I can insure they are all leaving after the first week... :mrgreen:
[/url]
papabou

Post by papabou »

we did as last minute trip about 4 yrs ago with trip prompted by casa bueno hitting rental market for 1st time with 6 day stay there. arranged for 4 nite stay at nautilaus after cb and were assured early am move. while move was a pain, we got good deal on both villas as we took 2 "gaps" in rental calendars. during stay at cb we concentrated on beaches, dining etc on east side of island. once we moved to nautilus on maria bluff, we had sunsets, great close water views and did dining in cruz bay and hawksnest, jumbie, gibney and trunk beaches. really reduced our driving since only went cross island and back once.

changes in latitudes and attitudes. don't think be worth effort for move to same area.

papabou
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I do this all the time. I don't find it to be a real hassle and don't feel like I lose a lot of time. One trip we moved four times! (Secret Harbour/Contant Point/Catherineberg/Caneel). I try and arrange for a late check out at the first house if possible. If not, it has never been a problem to go and drop our bags at the second house while the cleaning crew is there. We then head to the beach so they can have the time they need to clean etc.

I switch to get different views. We spend a lot of time at the villa so view is important. I would not move between houses with the same view. Last summer we split between Contant Point and Francis Bay. This summer we are splitting between Coral Bay and Francis Bay.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

While I have never done it myself, you have 2 small children, and packing up all their "stuff" and moving mid-trip sounds like a lot of extra work. Plus, after a few days, we always get in a routine and with little kids that is an important part. Just my two cents!!
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

We have done a split, however it's usually 3-4 days at one location before moving to our villa for 7+ days.
We liked being able to experience Cruz Bay and going out 'to town' early on, then we are okay with hanging at the villa for rest of trip.
It also allows us to extend stay and stay at nicer villa.

On our check out/in day. We did late check out, beach early, back to gather up, grab lunch and groceries and then it was check in time. Didn't really feel like we lost any major time.
I didn't like not being able to settle in for a couple days and having to pack up mid way. With that said, we are doing a split for next years trip as well.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Decisions, decisions...y'all have made great points on both sides!

My biggest concerns are food in the cooler for a few hours between villas and "moving" with two small kids...our 5 year old will handle it fine, but if it's nap time, our 2 year old might be a challenge.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

We've done that several times and it was never a problem. For a long time we'd spend one week in Cinnamon Bay cottages, then go somewhere with "real showers." Also have split our time between Coral Bay & Cruz Bay, and "country" & "town". I never felt like we were "losing time", but then we tend to travel light. Packing and unpacking can be a hassle, but not a major one. Just drop everything off at the new place, do whatever you want for the day. Our kids had no problem with it, actually the change kept them from getting too bored, but then they were a bit older than yours.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

My husband and I have done that many times to enjoy different locations - and/or for financial reasons (sometimes we want to stay at a certain villa but can't afford to for the entire trip). Like liamsaunt we pick two different locations. On our upcoming trip we will be near Salt Pond and then moving to the Cruz Bay side.

We only consider "the split" if we can go two weeks or longer, though. The exception could be staying at a villa at least for a week and a few nights at Caneel to enjoy their beaches or a few nights in Cruz Bay so we can eat/drink without worrying about parking/driving.

We've often rented from two different management companies but, fortunately, have never had to drag our luggage for long. We've been allowed to either check in early at the second villa (only if no guests are checking out that day) or drop off our luggage out of the cleaning crew's way. We don't really find moving a hassle - it's just the two of us and we don't have tons of stuff. We try to have the least food to move to the next fridge. We carry a very small (foldable) cooler and ask the cleaning crew's permission to put the whole cooler in the fridge (makes easier for them to take what's left by the previous guests) and they've always graciously let us.

As others have said, we go to the beach or town for shopping after dropping off the luggage. We've never really felt like we lost a day.

Good luck on your planning!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Hey there! We did it once (for 12 days, split 5/7), and we'd do it again if the combo was right...as others have said, it's a great way to try out a new villa (or two), or a new neighborhood!

The switch day wasn't too bad for us, although the evening before the 'move' was a bit less relaxing than usual because I was doing some packing and tidying to get ready to depart for the next villa the next morning. Still not bad, though.

One benefit for me was that it made the trip feel much longer -- two separate vacations in one! 8)