snorkle vest

Travel discussion for St. John
BuddyRock

snorkle vest

Post by BuddyRock »

Looking into purchasing snorkle vests for kids (8&12) hubby and myself for upcoming trip.

Any recommendations for brand/manufacturer?
Teresa_Rae

Re: snorkle vest

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Are you set on vests or would you consider belts? I like a belt because it offers a lot more flexibility.

There are many options for belts, for example:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... float+belt
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
star2515

Post by star2515 »

We got theses http://www.leisurepro.com/p-scpcsv/scub ... Hwod4BkAMA

We like that they are easy to pack, however some of us do like the belts better, but they take up a lot more packing space. I also like how these are a full vest and so they don't tend to ride up over my head like others.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

star2515 wrote:We got theses http://www.leisurepro.com/p-scpcsv/scub ... Hwod4BkAMA

We like that they are easy to pack, however some of us do like the belts better, but they take up a lot more packing space. I also like how these are a full vest and so they don't tend to ride up over my head like others.
We like this one too - have had them for years. Even though a bit expensive, they last forever and you can either keep them uninflated so you can dive down or you can inflate them to make it easy to float. Also, they had a layer of warmth that helps when you are out in the water for a long time. Leisure Pro is also a great company and if you don't want to spend that much, especially on the kids, they offer several less expensive options.
ArkieLovesSTJ

Post by ArkieLovesSTJ »

We also have these same snorkel vests. We have used them when we were snorkeling some place new that we haven't snorkeled before. We also use them when we hike over to Blue Cobble Beach and snorkel back to Salt Pond or start snorkeling at Kiddel and snorkel over to Grootpan and hike back. They also fit into our snorkel bag good. We don't use them every snorkel, but it is great to have them when we feel we need them.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

From a safety point of view, I would recommend you go with vests, rather than belts, especially for the kids. I know the belts are more comfortable, but if you get into rough water or a current, or get a leg cramp, or a variety of other things, the vest is a better option for keeping your head afloat. I am a "just in case" kind of person so I like the vests better. Just my 2 cents.