Jet Blue Experience

Travel discussion for St. John
kklay

Jet Blue Experience

Post by kklay »

Just looking for feedback on anyone who has had experience flying with Jet Blue. I've booked them for a fall trip (DETROIT-BOSTON-STT). I've talked with some others who have flown Jet Blue, just not to the islands.

Thanks!
Rebubula

Re: Jet Blue Experience

Post by Rebubula »

We have used them our last couple trips, always a pleasant experience. Clean planes, roomy, and love having movie/TV entertainment built in.
We fly out of jfk, flew to Aruba and California. Booking for our STJ trip next year too.
No complaints and seem to prefer over other airlines, not sure if I have just been lucky or that's what others experience too!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We've flown Jet Blue to STT (from Boston) several times; most recently in February. No problems beyond the typical weather delays. First checked bag is free.
janet
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Flew to Florida several years ago. The CEO was on board handing out snacks. Nice customer service.
kklay

Post by kklay »

Thanks you for the replies. It's great to hear the great comments. Their web site is pretty impressive and I really like the idea of the personal entertainment/TV, helps the time to pass more quickly. We will be traveling in Late November so I hope Boston is having good weather on our flight day!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Back in the day, American was the dominant carrier to STT, at least from Boston. They began pulling out of the Caribbean five years ago, and Jet Blue swept in to replace them. The early JB days were awesome, with non-stops in the low $300's. As they have had less competition, and increased their market share, prices have risen; these days, we tend to pay mid $400's, to as much as $650. The service is excellent, with the widest coach seat pitch of any airline, personal seat back video displays, free first bag, free snacks, and comfortable leather seats. We take advantage of the free first bag rule to bring down lots of food. Note that the DirectTV channels vanish once you are out over the ocean, so you are limited to 3 or four movies (one typically in Spanish), along with XM radio for most of the flight. They usually fly non-stop from BOS to STT, but often stop in San Juan on the return flight. Sometimes they pick up passengers there, but other times no one gets on or off. I suspect that the jet fuel is cheaper in Puerto Rico. We have been surprised on multiple occasions, though, when we were advised on the ground at STT that we would be skipping SJU, and heading straight back to Boston!

Things are changing at Jet Blue during 2015. They are creating three new coach fare classes, and the lowest cost of these will no longer allow a free first bag. Hopefully, this fare class will be lower in price than their current rates. The other two fares will offer one and two free bags, as well as some TrueBlue miles benefits. In addition, they are increasing the number of seats on their A320's from 150 to 165; these new seats are thinner, so they will still offer the widest seat pitch in coach, but we lose 1.6" in the process. Hopefully, the thinner seats will be just as comfortable. The new seats will also have snazzy 10" widescreen video displays, and an improved 100+ channels of DirectTV (but probably not out over the water, as now). Finally, Jet Blue will be offering free wi-fi ("Fly-Fi"), ramping from a few routes to most or all over the course of 2015. That's pretty awesome, although as with the TV service, I don't know if it will work out over the ocean.

More details from their CEO, here:

http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/2014/ ... bin-hayes/

All the best,

Kevin
loria

Post by loria »

If AA is not a possibility (it's where all our miles/perks are) then i always try to fly jet blue-- the flight attendants are always so nice, free snacks and drinks, seatback entertainment (and if you are flying with kids this really helps) -- free bag, (and i was disappointed to see what coconuts said about that slowly disappearing.)

flew them recently NY-- Cartagena and it was a great flight.

have never flown them to STT since the flights in the price range i want to pay are the ones that leave at 11 or midnight and get into San Juan at 3 am or something... ugh..... there was talk years back of them doing a JFK-STT direct.... but it never materialized.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
RickG

Post by RickG »

Jet Blue is one of the airlines that work for us out of DC, via BOS. We've had good experiences with their service and will use them again.

Other airlines we like are United, American and rarely Delta. Spirit is a last resort for us due to lack of interline agreements and their fee structure. United usually only works on weekends when they run their direct flights, but then it works so very well. Jet Blue and American are usually our best weekday deal. I prefer the American flight via Miami because it has so many alternative flights to STT, vs. Jet Blue via cold icy Boston.

We've been visiting more since we got our boat. We book each direction separately and frequently fly down on American and Jet Blue on a weekday and back on United on a weekend. This gets us better pricing and scheduling. Time to book March!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
RickG

Post by RickG »

Just saw a codeshare announcement for Jet Blue and Seabourne. That will open up some Beef Island Tortola routes.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI