What to do about airfare

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

What to do about airfare

Post by michigan girls »

Been back a month now, and I must buy my tickets for the next trip soon.

Typical Delta fee out of GRR is $605. Today it is at $660, the lowest I've seen since I've been shopping for these tickets. This is fine for the people in our group who are paying...

My issue is with the miles cost. My April trip cost me 37,500 miles - pretty typical. The lowest I've seen this one go is 55,000 - what's up with that? It means I don't have enough miles to buy both my ticket and my daughters (I could if it was back at 37,500 where it always used to hang out)

Considering flying down on American and back on Delta - as I have enough miles on both carriers to cover that for myself and my daughter.

Thoughts?
JJShaw

Re: What to do about airfare

Post by JJShaw »

I would...and wouldn't think twice about it...:) At times some of the travel sites will offer book you that way, 2 different carriers...even with a connecting flight..;)
[/url]
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

My mom and I are both having the same frustration with the high award issue with American. My mom is willing to take any time and dates as they are retired and she still cannot find the lower point tickets for Costa Rica and Mexico.

I often buy our departure and returns seperately, never an issue or problem.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We usually book one-way flights. I haven't seen a price difference vs. roundtrip and it gives us more flexibility. Out of DC, if we cannot get the United direct, we are on AA, Jet Blue or Delta. In July we go down on United and come back on AA - AA was cheaper and left four hours later. When I'm buying four tickets things add up first. Trying to book March and it looks like we'll doing one-ways on different airlines. That will give us 10 weeks booked in the next 12 months. DNS!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PJV356

Post by PJV356 »

I am also from West Michigan and have been looking at flights. The cheapest alternative I have found is to fly Southwest Airlines to San Juan, stay overnight in San Juan and fly Seaborne to St Thomas.

We flew Southwest to San Juan last year when we went to Virgin Gorda and it worked great. The flight gets into San Juan at about 1:00 pm, stay at the Embassy Suites and were by the pool and having a beer by 2:00.

This is much better than any flight to STT if you don't want to use points.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Southwest/Seaborne looked great for a minute - until I realized that was one way pricing :-( Total puts in just $20 under the Delta flight.

Unfortunately, although my daughter and I could fly free if we use AA down and Delta back, I didn't think about the extra cost for the other three people who don't have points to use. It would be about $175 more for them. Wouldn't be a big deal for my son just to fly Delta separate from us and meet us there - but my daughters two friends will certainly want to be with us...

Damn Delta and their high point flights
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

We fly out of GRR also. I booked for next February using my cc points (Flexperks Visa through US Bank). We have mostly flown on Delta. They have become so expensive that this time the roundtrip flight was over $1,000 and would cost me 75,000 points. I opted for American and used 40,000 points. We only have enough points for 1 "free" ticket and I purchase the other one. It was just over $700. And that is with a double connection. Driving to Chicago or Detroit only saves about $100. By time we brave the February roads (never know what you're getting with the weather) and stay overnight, it just isn't really worth it.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Decided to investigate Southwest a little more and discovered their mileage costs are way lower. Won't help for this trip, but maybe the next one. Got a Southwest reward CC, and should have enough miles for a couple free flights in no time.

Question on the Southwest/Seaborne connection. I know you said you spend the night on San Juan - but it looks to me that I should have plenty of time to make a connection and be on St Thomas by 4:30. Any reason this shouldn't work? I would have a little over an hour and a half to get from Southwest to Seaborne?
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We fly out of DTW as we are East Siders in Michigan( 1.5 hr drive). We too use a US Bank Flex and can get down to STT on 30k per person during the last week of March first week of April time frame. I just checked and they have 1 flight left at 30k and the rest 40k+. Part of the trick is to be able to book 330 days out( not always easy) and or flexibility of days( We usually fly Thur-Sat or Sun). Of course flying back on Mon or Tues means less competition for seats...but adding days to an already expensive trip. I can't remember the last time we used Delta. Its AA or UsAir(now the same) I have booked at midnight at the magical 330 days out before
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I've always been a fan of Delta because I can get to STT with one stop from GRR, where most carriers require two :-( I may have to let them go though, since they don't seem to be moving on that ridiculous amount of miles. We are lucky to be able to book a year out, as we go the same time every April (the first Tuesday after the 15th), but it's a little more difficult with the summer trip since we have to plan it around my Army son's schedule, which he doesn't get that far in advance.

We have flown out of DTW a couple times in the past because we've found amazing fares, but it's hard to resist flying out of GRR when it is 8 minutes from my house.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

michigan girls wrote:I've always been a fan of Delta because I can get to STT with one stop from GRR, where most carriers require two :-( I may have to let them go though, since they don't seem to be moving on that ridiculous amount of miles. We are lucky to be able to book a year out, as we go the same time every April (the first Tuesday after the 15th), but it's a little more difficult with the summer trip since we have to plan it around my Army son's schedule, which he doesn't get that far in advance.

We have flown out of DTW a couple times in the past because we've found amazing fares, but it's hard to resist flying out of GRR when it is 8 minutes from my house.

I just noticed how close you are to going back to STJ...WOW..I would be a nervous wreck if I didnt have tickets with it being so close...lol...I buy as far ahead as possible...although I understand not everyone can do that with different schedules.. good luck..keep us posted on what you decide... :)
[/url]
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

LOL - I'm buying today - I give up

Done - 55,000 miles for my ticket and $660 for the other peoples

I'm annoyed by it - but at least it's taken care of now.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Damn it! I booked and now it's cheaper and fewer miles.

That is so annoying
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Call and ask for a credit for the difference...worse case scenario they say no...but worth a shot... :)
[/url]