STJ Fishing Advice -- July 8-15th

Travel discussion for St. John
LBA

STJ Fishing Advice -- July 8-15th

Post by LBA »

Hello. Making a last minute trip with my two sons. My youngest (22 yrs old...haha) is interested in deep sea fishing. I checked out some of the charters and most are out of his budget. Are there ever "groups" who need a 3rd or 4th fisherman? Any beaches where he could fish from the shore? We are staying out in Coral Bay area this trip. Anywhere on the island where he could get some local advice? Appreciate any and all help. :D
psufan

Re: STJ Fishing Advice -- July 8-15th

Post by psufan »

You can fly fish the flats in Leinster Bay. Sometimes there are posts here on the forum of people looking to share a charter. Hope you can find something because my husband and son have had great deep sea fishing expeditions with Double Header. Came home each time with enough fresh tuna and/or mahi to keep us eating fresh fish for the remainder of our vacation and some great stories to tell.
Pia

Post by Pia »

As mentioned you can fish at the flats but make sure you know what you are catching - no fishing from the beaches in the National Park (all of the North Shore)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
LBA

Post by LBA »

Thanks Pia and psufan for your valuable advice and comments.
jlynn6864

Post by jlynn6864 »

Hi LBA-

I just saw your post regarding a fishing charter. We (myself, daughter, son and husband) will be in STJ July 11-18. My husband and son (21 yrs old) might be interested in sharing a charter with you. Would it be the three of you or just your 22 yr. old. If it was the three of you we could split the cost 5 ways.. if it's just your son, we would only be splitting it 3 ways. Also, were you interested in deep sea fishing or inshore?
Also, does anyone know of good places to just fish off the shore?
LBA

Post by LBA »

Hello jlynn,
I have sent PM to you. I hope you have received it. Maybe we can make something work out for our fisherman!! :D
jlynn6864

Post by jlynn6864 »

HI LBA -
Sent you a PM... let me know what you think.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

I would be reluctant to fish from the shore line due to the high incident of ciguaterra poisoning that is found in fish that feed off the reef. Ciguaterra is a neural toxin.

If you want to catch fish for eating, deep sea is the way to go.