Best day to travel home?

Travel discussion for St. John
efrank

Best day to travel home?

Post by efrank »

Last visit was in June of 2012, and leaving from STT was horrendously long and busy. We left on a Saturday, and requested a porter's help, which still had us standing in line to check in for at least an hour, and then didn't not cut our wait for customs by too much, totaling about 1.5-2 hr wait. Is leaving on Sunday any better? I'm sure that weekdays would be calmest, but I believe only small planes leave STT during the weekdays? We are traveling from Chicago with a party of 9, usually connecting in San Juan or Miami. I'm sure you all have suggestions to make this process less stressful!
[/url]
Joppa

Re: Best day to travel home?

Post by Joppa »

Regular planes from major carriers fly in and out of STT 7 days a week. We usually fly in on a Monday and leave on Thursday and it's not very busy. The only time it was real busy was right after Carnival on STT last year.
CHM

Post by CHM »

We have flown home on a Monday and also on a Wednesday. Both days were much better than departing on a Saturday. We now try not to fly home on a Saturday if possible.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

We just got back about 3 weeks ago. We traveled Saturday to the following Sunday
for the first time, leaving on a Sunday.
Whether it was just a freak, or not , our departure was relatively non-congested. Although we got to the airport 2 or 3 hours early, (constantly checking our flight time- we had a connecting layover in Puerto Rico that was constantly changing) my Sweet Amy insisted that we just get it all done with, and pass through the customs, etc...
We had more than enough time to spare, and next trip I'm going to insist that we spend an hour at Tickles, or another restaurant/bar close by, which is something we've never done.
I think we've learned by now that we'd rather actually suck every minute of enjoyment out of our vacation before we hit the airport. Otherwise, we rush there, go through customs, and sit there with loads of other folks who are also sadly departing for usually 2 hours minimum. Sure, better safe than sorry, but it's getting to be a cranky situation. People returning to their rude selves, crammed in uncomfortable chairs, pretentious folks who seem to "know everything" and "been everywhere," babies crying, blah, blah, blah... If you're hungry, or want an adult beverage, you wait in line(s) to finally be served a grossly overpriced sandwich or drink. Then you sit there and wait. And wait.And wait. The GOOD news, is you get to look and watch through the windows as people who are just landing for THEIR vacation, are passing right in front of you . (additional sadness and depression ensues with the realization that your trip is truly over...)- It's like you're a puppy at a pet store, wishing somebody would take you with them.
This past trip, as mentioned, we departed on a Sunday, and while the lines were short, and our flights were shuffled time-wise, my personal opinion is that we have been spending entirely too much time getting on eachothers nerves sitting in the airport for hours, awaiting our departure.
For our next trip ( #19) to STJ, we're definately leaving on a Sunday, and spending a few extra bucks on a taxi stop at a restaurant then delivery to the airport- somebody tell me how much-, and going to enjoy some good grub and adult rum drinks, spend less dough than we would at the airport, and generally do our best to avoid the negativity involved with departure. Heck, the cost of the food/drinks at the airport has got to equal the cost of a taxi transfer at a restaurant that's close by, no? Need guidance, here!
Bottom line; We left on a Sunday, and it was , well, "Easy Like Sunday Morning."
If I don't have to, I'm just not gonna' sit inside the airport that long again, hopefully. It's depressing.
Trip report soon come.
Smiles-
MJ
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

mahojim...............you took the words right out of my mouth with the departure ritual!

We normally travel on week days and have never really encountered long delays at the airport. Never more than an hour from drop off to butts in chairs as Jim describes it. The harder part of the "walk of shame-aka going back to reality" for us is getting back through customs on the ferry coming in from Jost on departure mornings. That can be a slow process.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I learned early in this process that the traditional turn-over day for villas is Saturday. That means mass quantities of people arriving to move into their villa and equally massive quantities of people trying to leave the same villas.

We have never arrived in or departed from STT on a Saturday. Any other day is better. We normally travel on Thursdays, Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays. We have traveled on Sundays a couple of times. I don't ever want to see that airport on a Saturday.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We try and do Wednesdays...although last yr it was a Saturday after Halloween for our return flight home and I expected it to be busy...but it wasn't too terrible..except our flight was delayed so we were stuck there for a little longer than expected..this yr we fly in on a Tuesday before Carnival and fly back out on a Wed...here's hoping... :)
[/url]
sherban

Post by sherban »

Weekends are the worst time , we just traveled in and out on Wednesday and it was very light...Saturdays are the worst day.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Be careful if you go out to eat before heading to the airport. You still need to arrive 2 hours before departure.

A couple years back I arrived 5 minutes late. 1 hour and 55 minutes before departure. There was no one in line. I went straight to the counter to check in only to be told I was too late and had to come back tomorrow.

If I didn't have check baggage they said they would have let me in.
efrank

Post by efrank »

My in-laws traveled out recently on a Wednesday and they said it was heaven, but they had to fly out on an ity bity plane, and with 9 in our party, we didn't want to be split up. Thanks for all the replies everybody, looking forward to planning this next trip!
[/url]
loria

Post by loria »

if you think you will be late -- check in on line-- they cannot refuse you if you come late (i came with 45 minutes to spare and they were not going to let me check a bag i had but since i had already checked in they allowed me to go thru) also , if you are flying USair or American (and maybe this has been dealt with since) they are merging their systems or something and the ground crew was CLUELESS.... took them an HOUR to check in one family ..... it was insane.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

There is never a good day to leave St John. However, most of us must do it at some point. I like weekdays. Monday - Thursday seem to be good. Reentry is always tough.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I guess we lucked out big time with some good forum advice. We left Saturday May 2 around 5 PM. Easy taxi ride, carry on only and preprinted boarding and customs papers( thanks Rick for that link). One person in front of us at security, no one at customs! Sat and read a book..easy peasy.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

This past February STT was the most crowded we've ever seen. The line for customs was so long it was almost back out into the street. This was also the first time we checked bags. We always go Saturday to Saturday. Back to carry on in October.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

iheartsj wrote:Be careful if you go out to eat before heading to the airport. You still need to arrive 2 hours before departure.

A couple years back I arrived 5 minutes late. 1 hour and 55 minutes before departure. There was no one in line. I went straight to the counter to check in only to be told I was too late and had to come back tomorrow.

If I didn't have check baggage they said they would have let me in.
Say what!? Which airline?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain