Sunday Afternoon Forumite Get-togethers

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnRuth

Re: Sunday Afternoon Forumite Get-togethers

Post by StJohnRuth »

From the Way Back Time Machine, a history of the Forum gatherings, which started out as AOL gatherings at the Banana Deck:
(Copied from a post from a prior decade)

I have a story that goes way back to the AOL forum. At some point (maybe 2002?) I had the brilliant idea to host a weekly get-together for forumites on island. I put it out there and Ron and I started showing up at The Banana Deck for two hours every week (I think it was Wednesday 4-6 or something.) It was a slow time of the year (late summer/early fall?!) The first time, not knowing who/what to expect,I told Doug (B-Deck owner) that I needed a table "for my forum friends". He said "Who is that?" So I explained. He seemed to think it was a little weird. Then no one came. Actually no one came for several weeks. Ron gave up after week three or so and said "call me if anyone comes."

Eventually people did come, but usually two or three at a time. One time there may have been two couples. I met a lot of nice people in the long run and it was pretty fun and worthwhile. (Silverheels, Joe and Doreen, I forget who else but NOT Pete and Marcia, I think they were chicken and I met them another way.) However, I have had to endure years of Banana Deck Doug asking me if I am meeting "all your friends?" every time I walk in there by myself for any reason!

- Ruth
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

And who remembers the Beach Bar Gathering Secret Password? Search the forum for this thread, it was hilarious.

- Ruth
- Ruth, St. John Spice
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Ruth,
It's funny that you should mention the AOL forum. Some of are still meeting every year, sometimes on STJ and sometimes on STT. (Aug. 13th this year). A small group of us still go to the Beach Bar to meet on Sundays when we are on island. Miss the larger group meetings. I do remember that Jack and I met you and Ron at the Banana Deck. It was a good idea and sorry that it fizzled.
You mentioned Joe and Doreen and coincidentally today is Joe's birthday!
See you in August from the 10th to the 24th and staying in Pastory!
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

We will try to make the July 5th meeting. We get to St. Thomas at 1:30. Will get our car, buy some groceries & take the ferry to St. John!
psufan

Post by psufan »

Tee Hee St John Ruth. I remember.
awardb

Post by awardb »

Silverheels:

We will meet you and your sister at the Beach Bar on Sunday in August when we are there at the same time you are! Hope to meet some other forumites there and then as well. Can't wait!
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Ward,

That won't be until the 16th as we arrive on the 10th. So we'll have to meet before then on the beach (Maho?)

Any Forumites on island plan on a meet at the Beach Bar on the 16th.
awardb

Post by awardb »

16th August sounds good to us! Can't wait to see the two of you, and we certainly hope that there are other forumites on-island on that Sunday to join us.

It'll be here before we know it!
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We are four days and a wake-up from the rock. For those of you who are there now, don't use up all the fun before we get there.

We are looking forward to meeting many of you at Cruz Bay Landing Sunday afternoon. Come on out and have a drink while we meet and greet.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Hey Ruth wasn't it
Meka Leka Hi Meka Hi Meka Hiney Ho?

I always got nervous to go to the Forum Gatherings but once I got over that I got to meet some really nice peeps. I hope they start up again
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

Hubs and I will be there at the June 28th event - can't wait to see everyone!
Last edited by NCSue on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Any peeps who will be on island between 8/8 and 8/17 want to get together on 8/9 or 8/16 at Cruz Bay landing? Let's try to get something going!
awardb

Post by awardb »

Silverheels, her sister and the two of us will be on-island on the 16th, and were going to meet at the Beach Bar. No problem to move it to Cruz Bay Landing...

See everyone then!
AwardB
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

I'm open to any location, Mary and Ward and I'm sure my sister is too. Although I love sitting on the beach. What matters most is that we get the forumites together.

Who's ready to join us? August 16th around 5.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Sounds good, Sunday 8/16 in the sand in front of the Beach Bar. Be there or be square!