kayaking on st john

Travel discussion for St. John
lindalu

kayaking on st john

Post by lindalu »

hello. going to Stj in july-august.
1. want to go to the Baths, any recommended charters that are friendly and not rushing through the adventure?
2. kayaking. any recommended kayaking tours, or trips on the Island you recommend?
3. is the sea lice still active on the Island?
thanks. linda 8)
psufan

Re: kayaking on st john

Post by psufan »

I highly recommend Arawak Tours kayaking trip to Hurricane Hole. That excursion was the highlight of our February trip, some of the most interesting snorkeling we have experienced on St John. Of course, getting to spend an unexpected extra day on island due to a snowstorm at home wasn't too bad either 8)
loria

Post by loria »

where are you staying-- there is a young woman who does SUP tours and kayaking out of the east end and also you can rent kayaks at cinnamon and at crabby (and other places i am sure) and do your own thing.
the baths for a day always seems rushed-- if you are going with an organized boat that does the run tour i think that maybe the best would be pirates penny (google stormy petrel pirates penny and you will find them ) --
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

If you specifically want to spend time at the Baths, I suggest you avoid the large day cruises. Charter your own on a small power boat. Then you can stay as long as you want.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

iheartsj wrote:If you specifically want to spend time at the Baths, I suggest you avoid the large day cruises. Charter your own on a small power boat. Then you can stay as long as you want.
I wouldn't recommend this as a good guide will lead through the Baths and point out things you would miss on your own. We've done this trip many times (5-6) all with Pirates Penny and we have never felt rushed and have always been very happy with them.
hanginghigh704

Post by hanginghigh704 »

We rented double kayaks at Cinnamon, then took them over to Mary's Point, snorkeled for awhile, and came back via Francis and Maho. Took us about 3 hours.