St. John Spice Grill Rub

Travel discussion for St. John
NCSue

St. John Spice Grill Rub

Post by NCSue »

Okay - what's your absolute favorite thing to do with this GLORIOUS rub! We're kind of boring with it - just sprinkle it on fish or chicky. Any other ideas?

I only have to make it through one more week and then I'm STJ bound! :lol:
Rebubula

Re: St. John Spice Grill Rub

Post by Rebubula »

We do the same, so am curious to see some new ideas! Have also done on veggies, my BIL does the mix with soy sauce I think? We do it straight up and grill, try to get a little crust.
I've tried other rubs and that is our fave! Enjoy your trip!
BostontoSTJ

Post by BostontoSTJ »

I squeeze the orange and lime juice, crush some garlic and then add STJ spice and olive oil to create a pretty awesome marinade for almost anything.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I also make marinades.

For veggies, I think it goes particularly well with roasted root vegetables.

I have also sprinkled it on my "grill bread" which is nothing more than thick slices of a crusty bread brushed with olive oil and grilled on both sides. I like to serve this will a big green salad and steak.
JenG

Post by JenG »

I spread a generous amount of olive oil on a baking sheet, sprinkle the Spice Rub on it and then place washed, halved baby potatoes - cut side down - on that. Roast at 400 until tender...maybe 30 minutes. I always wing it and cook them until they're nicely browned. You could also just put potato wedges (from larger potatoes) in a bowl with olive oil and Grill Rub, mix it well then place potatoes on a baking sheet to roast. mm mm mm :D
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Believe it or not, I've used it when grilling asparagus. Toss the asparagus in some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and STJ Grill rub, then hit the grill for 6-8 mins... Good stuff!!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
kklay

Post by kklay »

I wonder how it would be when using in my "SPICED PRETZEL" receipe? The original version is pretzels (I use the small ones) olive oil, garlic salt/powder, ranch dressing and probably something else I can't remember at this time, maybe add some of the GRILL RUB too, toss all together. I'm think it would be very tasty! Might have to try it this weekend.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

I use a recipe from Robin Benzle when she did the youtube video. It's basically blackened mahi and the ingredients that make painkillers. That's what I do, anyway. I use the spice rub mixed with the blackening seasoning and add a little bit of cornstarch to thicken it a little at the end. It's unreal. Obviously goes great with whatever side dishes, but we like it with rice, corn on the cob, and a salad.
And especially when you are on STJ and most likely have Painkiller ingredients, it's a breeze. Google her or search for her on YouTube to see how easy it is. Just don't get blasted with steam like she does! There's a video of her cooking at Bongo Bongo.
It's really delicious.
Smiles
MJ