looking for stj travel opportunity

Travel discussion for St. John
papabou

looking for stj travel opportunity

Post by papabou »

i'm a married, white, retired, straight male and frequent stj visitor (17 trips since fall 2004) with last trip in july of 2014. wife of almost 50 yrs has had major surgeries over last 9 months in her battle against cancer. though currently in remission, she will not be comfortable traveling for a while. none of my snorkle buddies from past trips (god i miss mad mack) can get away the rest of the year and i disparately need a stj fix.
looking for a couple or two (maybe family but no kids under 10) who might consider adding another person to their group. for the right group, location on stj, and time period, i would pay a full share (half if a couple or third if 2 couples) of lodging, jeep rental (or would rent own jeep) food & incidentals. for the newbies i also offer you your personal stj tour director. avid snorkeler and accustomed to spending many hrs in water at various beaches but also will set up at any of good ones for full day of snorkeling, reading, chatting and people watching. accustomed to breakfast at villa, lunches half on beach and half at good lunch places , dinners mostly out if convenient but no problem dining on decks so location and view from lodging is important. non-smoker and since wive's cancers probably realted to her 50 yrs of smoking prefer those smart enough not to smoke.
would consider from after july 4th till mid december though mid august to mid october would be a last minute committment from me due to potential weather isses and so many restaurant closings.
love planning & i would be happy to plan trip for after thanksgiving either economy or luxury or a last minute trip (best values) this summer. pm me if you have any thoughts or possible opportunities.
papabou
Connie

Re: looking for stj travel opportunity

Post by Connie »

Really wish we could help you in Ocotober, but our place only is big enough for 2 people.

I hope you find someone :)
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
SeaHorse02

Post by SeaHorse02 »

If there were anyone I would ever consider doing this with it would be you. Your trip reports have been the most fun, entertaining, and joyous reports ever posted. Have thought of you often since you posted about your wife's illness. So glad things are better now. Would love to meet you one day. So sad we do not have a trip planned at this time. Hope someone takes you up on this, would be wonderful for all involved.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Papa, are you a Facebook user? There is someone who posted an amazing picture. Just him on St. John for 6 days. I think you can do this by yourself. If you want to be down there when we are, you can be our tour guide.

Check out that pic.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
papabou

Post by papabou »

GOOD NEWS BAD NEWS
i'll start with a thank you to those who responded and encouraged my endeavor. connie, great suggestion and was contemplating a solo trip when fun folks were on island if i couldn't work out something with adult supervision. unfortunately i don't do facebook and have enough trouble remembering my viol and couple other passwords to try anything else requiring sign ins.

great news, i believe i've got travel mate(s) for a trip mid october. baby daughter who's 45 and single came home for f's day and i was telling her about my efforts to get back to stj. she seized the moment, reminded me that she helped organize and accompanied her mother and i on our 1st stj trip in 2004, and announced she was going with me and she was going to invite older sister to come along. that's the good news - i have one daughter committed to coming with me and the other ready if she can work out time from work and arrangements for MY teenage granddaughters i pray they aren't on fall break because they'd want to come back with their papabou. would be fun and i look fwd to but that means i pick up the tabs. doesn't sound too cheap to me.

will keep all posted and hope to see more stj addicts in october.

papabou
loria

Post by loria »

that sounds lovely ......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
CBama

Post by CBama »

so happy it worked out for you! have a great trip...
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

"doesn't sound too cheap to me."

STJ with family...priceless
[/url]
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Hi Papabou-Very happy family will be joining you (wish I had my dad here on earth, he would have be ready and will to go to STJ with me :)). I have been to STJ solo one trip and I had the best time. Met the most awesome people, I can see you easily doing this (having read your entertaining trip reports!). Have fun planning and can't wait to read the report. :D