Airfare strategy for holidays

Travel discussion for St. John
jmq

Airfare strategy for holidays

Post by jmq »

Greetings
Considering NYE on the island. Never really flown to somewhere tropical over the holidays. Been watching the airfares from NYC area and even PHL for over a month now.

They have not budged from somewhat tolerable prices with awful durations/connections (when you consider NS for us is only 4-4.5 hrs) to outrageous prices for those flights with better connections/durations. I didn’t think that 7 months out was too early to try to snag something do-able i.e. <$650 and <8hrs just in case something reasonable like that opened up.

To those who have flown to STT over peak holiday season: do airfare prices ever break (however briefly, lets say X months out) or does it just get worse as you get closer? THANKS
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
loria

Re: Airfare strategy for holidays

Post by loria »

jim... my experience has been they just get worse.... and we have done this several times (as with the kids we were tethered to school breaks) -- i would do it now-- i waited once thinking the 650/700 dollar fares would go down. they went only up --one thing that will help is midweek and also flying home well after new years day. (like the third or 4th) or at least that used to work......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I would not wait. Airfares have been trending up for a while now. We got absolutely hammered with our tickets for the summer trip this year because we made the mistake of trying to wait it out. We finally locked at $885/per (and that's a connecting flight) and the flight we are on is now at around $1,200. For August. I can only imagine what holy hell they will charge for the holidays.

My group better enjoy this trip because I think next summer we are taking everyone to Cape Cod instead.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Even when looking at going down midweek and coming back on Mon 1/4 it isn't looking pretty, but not 4 figure ugly (yet). So I guess I'll see if we can wrap our head around $600 - $800

(Appreciate the feedback from other long time forumites... :D hope you and your families are both doing well!)
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
loria

Post by loria »

Liamsaunt-- i know what you mean-- we were finding fares from NY that were ewell over 400 one way for the non stop.... ended up booking one way fares with a stop and haven't booked the return yet. i cannot believe these prices in august....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>