Mooies?

Travel discussion for St. John
bill

Mooies?

Post by bill »

I have been going to St. John for several years and have always thought that the apartment above mooies is such a great spot. Seems like an elderly woman lives there. She must have some stores to tell, as you can see so much of cruz bay from that location. Seems like that building is one of the originals.

Does anyone know the history of this building?
Pulley

Re: Mooies?

Post by Pulley »

We spoke with Theo and the bar has been in her family for years. Her dad started the bar. A couple years ago I got a great purple & gold Mooie's hat. My country club friends always ask where in the heck is that place. :D
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Mooie’s is the oldest bar on the island. Mr. Theovald E. “Mooie” Moorehead, opened it in 1956. Mr. Theovald was the first senator for St. John USVI and served for 16 years—8 consecutive terms. Mr. Theovald spoke for the rights of native land owners when there was a proposal to “condemn” St. John and relocate all the natives for the purpose of creating an exclusive Island retreat for the privileged few. He went to Washington and lobbied hard, and successfully to keep this from happening. Mooie was instrumental in starting the inter-island transportation services, fire department, and public housing. Theodora “Theo,” his daughter, now operates Mooie’s bar.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Unfortunately, the bar has been closed for a couple of years now.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

That is what I was thinking Hugo. Isn't there a bank there now?