Last Day - Magen's Bay or STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
MN_Bhoy

Last Day - Magen's Bay or STJ?

Post by MN_Bhoy »

I'm looking for input regarding the last day of our upcoming trip. My wife and I, along with another couple, have late afternoon (5 ish) flights home. This is our first trip renting a car (Amalie Rental) and will return it at the airport.

We were thinking it might be a good idea to take an early ferry and spend 1/2 a day at Magen's Bay. Is Magen's Bay easy to get to from Red Hook? Should we give this a shot or stay on STJ and enjoy another day at one of the North Shore beaches? Keep in mind that we will have all of our belongings with us in the Jeep.

Thanks for your help!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
ski2play

Re: Last Day - Magen's Bay or STJ?

Post by ski2play »

I would always opt for St John!
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

Magen's Bay is a lovely beach. Well worth seeing. Not sure how difficult to get to it would be from Red Hook. But I would plan on it taking at least 45 minutes from there to the airport.
In my opinion going would depend mostly on two things: If there are cruise ships in town that day and what day of the week your thinking of.
Weekends can get pretty crowded as its a popular local beach and on days when there are cruise ships in port it can be just as bad.

If you want to tool around St. Thomas, I would recommend Lindquist and Smith Bay Beaches, both close to Red Hook
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I know a lot of people post about how great Magen's is but here is our experience. Drove out, paid the entrance fee, parked in the crowded lot, walked to the beach, saw wall to wall people, turned around and drove away. Did not come to VI to be packed like sardines on the beach. Also stopped at the recommended ice cream place on the way out. Udder something? Ice cream was filled with chunks of plain ice. Didn't go over big with my former Friendly ice cream manager husband! Guess it wasn't our day.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Magens Bay Beach can be a great last day for you -- about 20 min. from Red Hook and about 20-25 min to the airport.
After the entrance booth just turn left and go out towards that end of the beach -- never crowded and certainly not wall to wall - it can be crowded on cruise ship days just outside the concession stand but there is always plenty of space and shaded picnic tables along the beach farther away. You will be able to park and be in sight of your car from the beach so I would lock it and not really worry. It is a huge long beach and has giant parking areas and there is no reason you should feel crowded.

Udder Delight is an ice cream stand on the road out of Magens that makes absolutely delicious shakes with liqueurs for flavoring.
Sorry the previous poster had such an anomalous experience at both venues - neither event is typical in my many decades here.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

You might consider going to Hook Line and Sinker in Frenchman Town in STT for lunch and then go to Emerald Beach Best Western and enjoy the facilities and a drink and cool dip in their pool before a 5 minute drive to the airport.

Enjoy the journey

Dave
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

If you have a 5ish flight you would be driving into town during the rush hour and the traffic can be brutal. I would go to Emerald Beach (aka Lindberg Beach) and enjoy a very nice beach with a bar and restaurant and be 5 minutes away from the airport.
Keep in mind they advise being at the airport 2 or 3 hours before your flight time and depending on the day you may need all that time.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

No need to go near town leaving Magens to go to the airport.
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Lots to consider...

I love having to make choices like this one!!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!