Car barge

Travel discussion for St. John
Knolmom

Car barge

Post by Knolmom »

Is cash required for the car barge or do they take credit cards. Also, what time would you take the barge from STJ to Red Hook on a Tuesday for a 1:15 PM flight.
papabou

Re: Car barge

Post by papabou »

kmom,

never used cc for fare nor seen anyone use on any of 4 barges we've used through the years but that doesn't mean they don't accept cc. you have a good arrival time and plenty of barges to get you to stj after you arrive. we normally go straight to redhook but stopped twice at costuless but won't do again. few basic rules re barges: they seldom leave on time and will wait for another fare as long as can and not clearly poaching next barge; they usually leave late unless can get full load by sch dept; & buy a one way fare since you may need to return on a different barge.

best advise i could give you on which barge to take - the next one you can get on as soon as you can get to redhook!

enjoy your trip.

papabou
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

Since you have to be at the airport at least 2 hours before the flight, I would take the 9am car barge. 10 am might be cutting it too close.
And as far as I know they don't take credit cards.
papabou

Post by papabou »

kmom,

old folks often get confused. i saw 1:15 flt and mind thought arrival time. sorry for useless info. agree with wgirl re barge for dept date.

papabou
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Be sure to get the 9 am if you are needing to return a rental car. I have arrived at airport 1 hour and 50 minutes before my schedule departure and was turned away at the check in desk. Had to come back the next day.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Thanks for the info. We are counting the days!