Charter stop suggestions

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Charter stop suggestions

Post by michigan girls »

One week out from return to my happy place and we've just booked a day trip with Busy Bee. Looking to hit some spots that are not accessible from shore, and that we haven't done before. Not headed to BVI this trip. I was thinking about Mingo Cay and Henley Cay. We've done Lovango Cay, Flanagan Island, and Newfound Bay. Any other potential spots I should be considering? We are all strong swimmers, but prefer not to battle current. Shallower snorkels are typically preferred over deep ones. Not opposed to stops that are accessible from St John where long and/or difficult hiking is involved. (I was wondering about Tektite?)

Thanks!!
liamsaunt

Re: Charter stop suggestions

Post by liamsaunt »

We are doing a full day USVI-only power boat trip in a couple of weeks. Here are my thoughts:

There is good snorkeling on the backside of Little St. James. That's the spot my nephew requested I add this year. My niece requested a return to Lovongo.

Whistling Cay is interesting. There is a mild current, but you can have the boat operator drop you at the top and then you drift down with the current and he can get you at the furthest mooring ball so you don't have to go back against the current. My brother in law saw an albino shark there a couple of years ago.

Tektite is pretty deep, just FYI.

Finally, I have done Waterlemon many times, as I am sure you have as well, but it's nice to skip that hike out if you have time for a repeat stop. Last year I did not go around the cay as I was still too tired from chemo recovery, but there is a ton to see in the front part of the cay and there's no real current there. It was so interesting that I am not planning on going all the way around this year either.

Have you heard about Abi Beach Bar and Pizza Pi? I am considering both as options for our lunch stop. All my ideas are dependent on our captain's advice of course.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

liamsaunt wrote: Have you heard about Abi Beach Bar and Pizza Pi? I am considering both as options for our lunch stop. All my ideas are dependent on our captain's advice of course.
I have not heard of Abi Beach Bar - where is that?? I did ask about Pizza Pi, but she told me that this Saturday is their last day for the season :-(

I do love Waterlemon, but have done a bunch of times now. Little St James is new to me though - how is the current there?

Good to know about Tektite - we will probably cross that off the list - thanks!

Another thought - does anyone know if you can reasonably access North Haulover from the water. I love that snorkel, but the difficult entry/exit makes it a challenge for my daughter and her friend.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have not heard of Abi Beach Bar - where is that?? I did ask about Pizza Pi, but she told me that this Saturday is their last day for the season :-(

Abi is on St. Thomas but only accessible by boat. Good to know about Pizza Pi. I am glad I did not tell my nephew about it. He is a pizza addict!

Little St James is new to me though - how is the current there?

No current to speak of on the backside when I snorkeled it. Your captain should be able to assess conditions and inform you if there is an issue the day of your charter. There is really nice coral in that spot.

Another thought - does anyone know if you can reasonably access North Haulover from the water. I love that snorkel, but the difficult entry/exit makes it a challenge for my daughter and her friend.[/quote]

I don't think there is anyplace to moor off Haulover North on a charter. I asked to stop there one time as we passed by on a private charter and the captain declined.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

on our last STJ day charter, we did a nice snorkel right by Ditleff Point. I guess its Klein Bay right there (or perhaps Rendevous - I never know the exact difference). It was pretty calm and we were the only boat there.

Also, instead of Waterlemon which can be pretty crowded, we've done a snorkel more inshore along the Leinster Bay Trail. I believe its referred to as 3 Ball Reef or 3 Ball something, referencing the 3 mooring balls there. Drawing a blank on the exact name, but something like that. Its less crowded and very calm.

Both of these we did with our young kids, ages 7 and 4 although the 4 year old didn't do much more than jump in the water with a vest. Our 7 year old was able to do a full snorkel in those spots. He also snorkeled around Cinnamon now that I think about it but that was half me dragging him.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

I did that stretch along the Leinster Bay trail last time. Loved it. Pristine coral and lots of fish.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

We've done that stretch as well, both from a boat and from the path. It's on our list this time, but we'll probably do it as we're walking back from a morning snorkel at Leinster. I love it there, the parrotfish are HUGE
ArkieLovesSTJ

Post by ArkieLovesSTJ »

Michigan you are not missing anything by not doing Tektite in my opinion. It was just several 4 inch square pieces of concrete on the ocean floor.

As far as something not already mentioned, last fall we drove to Kiddel and snorkeled around the point to Grootpan. This was a nice snorkel but a long snorkel. We wear dive boots with our fins, so we hiked back rather then snorkeling back. Would definitely do it again but it would be nice to have a boat waiting on you. It was a little rough the day we went so we opted to wear our snorkel vests. We don't wear them all the time but like them for longer snorkels especially if we think the water may be a bit rough.