shipping costs - container and boat

Travel discussion for St. John
onthelake

shipping costs - container and boat

Post by onthelake »

Good Morning Everyone!

We bought a small (700 sq ft) cottage in Coral Bay and need some help with shipping.

We have received quotes from several places (Tropical, etc.), but they are high. We live in Syracuse NY and the cost of bringing the container to Florida for shipping is a lot. Looking for some ideas or suggestions.

Have you or someone you know shipped a container from the North East to St John/Thomas? We will have a 20 Ft container and a 30 ft sailboat.

We are so excited about the move, but there are so many things to get done first!

Thanks

Pam and John
[/url]
bdkane

Re: shipping costs - container and boat

Post by bdkane »

Sorry,
No info on the container, just wanted to congratulate you on your purchase- sounds exciting , enjoy!
John
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

You might want to investigate shipping out of Pennsauken NJ

http://www.crowley.com/What-We-Do/Shipp ... nsauken-NJ
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

Congratulations on 'livin the dream' from a fellow Syracuse couple! No more 'Lake Effect' for you!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

are you sailing down in the boat?? The rallies out of Newport or Norfolk are a good way to come down with some support ----- or there are quite a few shipping companies that specialize in vessel transport to St Thomas, you could ship the boat and container that way.

http://www.yacht-transport.com/caribbea ... lands.html

http://www.sevenstar-yacht-transport.co ... homas.aspx
inuny

Post by inuny »

Hi Pam,

We used ampacforwarding (emily hutchens if she is still there was great).

For those from Syracuse, did anybody jump in Onondaga Lake on Wednesday? I'm going sailing there tonight, but hope not to fall in.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Congrats on your purchase! I am following this post as we closed on our house in Jost in March of this year and are also wrangling with logistics of getting items down to the islands.

We are moving our 30' Wellcraft down on a container ship out of Miami.
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Thanks everyone!

inuny (Ellen) I'll look into ampacforwarding. I haven't heard of them. When will you guys be on island again?

Exit - We don't really have the time to sail it down to Florida. Looking to ship it, but it's on a cradle and tall, so not sure how it will work out.

Jeff&Cindy - We are not going to miss the winters - Last year with the below 0 weather for months was the worst! We've been working on this since we first came down in 1998. You can do it too!

ski2play - Congrats! Moving to Jost! I'll post when I figure out the best options for the container and boat.

Have a great weekend!

Pam
[/url]
inuny

Post by inuny »

Pam,

We're trying to come sept 19-27, will definitely be there dec 5-12 and in March.
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

inuny - Ellen

We will be moving in mid Sept. It might be a crazy time, but we'll try to meet you guys for drinks or a swim.

Pam
[/url]
toni

Post by toni »

Congrats to you guys! I'm sure you're not going to miss those NY winters. Wasn't last winter brutal? I can't remember it ever being so cold for so long. Bet it made the planning to move a lot more fun! :lol:

Enjoy your new home!

Toni
Pia

Post by Pia »

Many many congratulations on the purchase of your new home and welcome to Coral Bay :)

We used Tropical for shipping and shipped from Florida. We actually rented a Peneske truck and drove it to Florida with all of our items from Kansas City and loaded it in to the 20' container ourselves (not sure they allow you to do that now) and can't remember the exact cost however I think it was around $3,500 - $4,000 (maybe) but that was 10 years ago.

I do have another question for you and that is once you get your 30' boat down here do you already have somewhere to keep it or what are you planning to do ?

Good luck with everything and keep us updated

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the neighborhood. We recently shipped from Missouri to St. John. We didn't have a full container but rather a large crate. We used a local moving company to get our goods to Tropical in FLorida. They assured us they had packed for ocean shipping before. They didn't do a very good job of packing and a couple things got damaged.

My advice is to be sure whoever packs your goods understands and knows how to pack for ocean shipping. Yes, shipping is expensive but you can't fit much into a 700 sq ft cottage.

I live in a 700 sq ft container/cottage near the top of Bordeaux. Look forward to meeting you.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We shipped 2 containers in 2012 from Pennsylvania. Crowley was cheaper than Tropical and it was also cheaper to have them go by rail to Florida and ship from there rather than ship from NJ. We packed both ourselves and only had one glass plate break. No boat so I can't help with that.
Good luck!
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Hi everyone

We had a good quote from International Moving. They ship out of NY so the land part is a lot less expensive. Has anyone worked with them. The quote is $3000 less that Tropical. We still have no quote for the boat :(.

Hi Toni - Thanks! Give us a shout when you make it back to St. John.

Pia - Thanks - we are very excited! We were thinking about a truck to Florida. I like the reputation Tropical has, just having trouble justifying the cost. Things are still up in the air on the boat. Do have any suggestions on an on island resource for shipping/anchorage.?

Iheartsj - Neighbors - yeah! We'd love to get together and see what your 700sq ft looks like! I know a 20ft container sounds like a lot, but we are planning on finishing the lower level(that is currently framed only) and will need all our tool, etc.

Donne - Thanks for the input - I have a request out to Crowley (they now use Suddath) for personal (non-commercial) shipping. Shipping by rail is a good idea.

Thanks you for all the great input! Keep it coming. I thought we had lots of time - but is almost August! Yikes!

Pam and John Baker
[/url]