Any jellies lately.

Travel discussion for St. John
Knolmom

Any jellies lately.

Post by Knolmom »

Have not read many jelly fish reports lately. Are they gone or have people just not posted?
NIPGBK1

Re: Any jellies lately.

Post by NIPGBK1 »

My friend that lives there said they were at Francis within the last week. Sorry. Not gone yet.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

If you're talking about the salps mentioned on a previous thread here, they are still a problem:
http://vineyardgazette.com/news/2015/07 ... 1fd6f5f3bf

The day before yesterday at Francis there were just a ridiculous amount. When you went into the water it felt like hundreds of them were touching you at the same time. We eventually left because I couldn't take it anymore. There were some at Maho but they there were probably about 1 percent as many as there are at Francis.
Last edited by Teresa_Rae on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We were on STJ 7/19-7/26 and snorkeled at least a few hours every day sometimes two snorkels a day (Hawksnest, Francis (2x's), Cinnamon, Great Lameshur, Maho, Waterlemon, Leinster, the flats off of the parking lot by Annaberg). Only one time did something sting me to where it was aggrivating and that was around the cay at Cinnamon. It only aggrivated me for about 15 mins max, and I never had any welts. On our second Francis snorkel (7/25), a few times I got little tiny stings but nothing worth worrying about. Hope that helps. Good luck!!!!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Thanks. I was hoping that they were gone.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Yesterday there were none at Gibney/Oppenheimer. Four days ago there were a few at Hawksnest, but not many. I never got stung, but heard a few people coming out of the water saying they got stung by something.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Yesterday at Maho there were a lot of salps which don't sting but feel weird and some stinging hydroids in the water. I heard some folks get out complaining of stings.

Fortunately, I didn't get stung hard. They seem to hang out close to shore.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We were just out for two weeks. We saw some moon jellies and some wee small jellies. I had Sea Safe and Jellyfish after sting that saw zero use. We had four people on the boat for week one and ten people on the boat for week two.

Did see a lot of sargassum.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Today at Leinster/Waterlemon: Some harmless Moon Jellies and no stings of any kind.

However, LOTS of rug rats! Where did our nice quiet vacation spot go????
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I have 4 bottles of unopened unused 50 SPF Safe Sea, I bought the 6pk and we didnt need them all..not sure if they will keep til next yr or not...If anyone of interested..let me know...I'll make you a deal..:)
[/url]
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Today we saw and felt them on the left side of Cinnamon Cay. We left an went to Vie's and it was fine there.

The scariest part of Cinnamon was when we came back in to the beach someone had transported us to the Jersey Shore... Good Grief...
Tim
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Today we saw and felt them on the left side of Cinnamon Cay. We left an went to Vie's and it was fine there.

The scariest part of Cinnamon was when we came back in to the beach someone had transported us to the Jersey Shore... Good Grief...
Tim
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We are here now and will be on island for another week. They are still around in places. Members of my group got stung at Maho and Caneel. Maho was annoying enough that we left early. Caneel was not too bad. No stings at Trunk, Cinnamon, Lameshur, Hansen, Honeymoon. Have not been to Francis yet as I have heard there are many there but will be trying to go next week.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Thanks. We arrive tomorrow and I am so looking forward to getting into the ocean. I have 2 bottles of safe sea and 2 sting relief.
mit43

Post by mit43 »

People were being stung today at Trunk.
Tim