Any jellies lately.

Travel discussion for St. John
Knolmom

Re: Any jellies lately.

Post by Knolmom »

We were at Maho from 10-2. Husband applied Safe sea..no stings. I applied nothing...no stings. Son Snorkeled..no stings. I did see some tapioca sized pearls that got caught in the mesh part of my floatie but they must not have stung me.
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

We were on St John from 8/2 - 8/9. We saw many jellies (or jelly like creatures) at Salomon, Trunk, Cinnamon, and Maho. For most of our trip we didn't feel any stings and if we did, they were so minor that it didn't really impact any of our snorkeling or swimming plans.

I remember snorkeling late in our trip and thinking to myself I will be writing the Forum to let everyone know the jellyfish thing was very overrated. That was true until Friday afternoon around 2pm at Maho. My wife and I were snorkeling the far left side and decided to swim across the bay to see some turtles. About halfway across we noticed our visibility was getting poorer by the minute, and when a bright burst of sunlight hit the water, we saw that a large number of small jellyfish and plankton-like things were everywhere. We started taking some stings (more of a nuisance and nothing painful) and it was enough to make us turn back and head to shore. When we returned, one of the people in our party said a rather large jelly had wrapped itself around his arm and left a pretty significant welt. He swam to shore after that too...

Overall, we were happy with the jelly fish situation. No question they are out there, and it seems like Maho and Francis have more than their fair share. All that said, I wouldn't let them spoil your time in the water.

Oh, the only place we didn't see them was at Little Lameshur.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
awardb

Post by awardb »

We've been here a couple of days. Spent all day at Little Lameshure, and most of today at Honeymoon. No jellies. :)
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
awardb

Post by awardb »

All day today at Maho. No jellies or anything else, for that matter.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Spent a few hours mid day at Hawksnest. No jellies but a little bit of Saragassum. Didn't bother me. Sun was white hot, water was beautiful!
awardb

Post by awardb »

Yeah, we saw a little bit of sargassum at Hawksnest the other day. No jellies, and water was quite clear.
AwardB
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

We were at Francis today. Jellies were like tapioca in the water. One member of our party got a real sting that required the anti- sting jell. Two more were stung and the sensation was merely annoying. None of the 3 was wearing Safe Sea Lotion. Four of us who were wearing Safe Sea were fine
The sensation of being " pricked" was annoying. Not many people stayed in the water. The " jellies" were near to shore. In about 6 ft of water, there were none.
Pia

Post by Pia »

We were out at Mary's Point yesterday and there were loads of them :(

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
awardb

Post by awardb »

We were at Trunk Bay yesterday. Only jellies we found were "moon" jellies, and only out around the point on the right side of the bay. We swam thru tons o' them, no problems with them, as usual. Inner bay was just fine, clear.

All day today at Honeymoon, completely clear. No jellies, no sargussum.
AwardB
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Trunk today, no jellies!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Here is the jellies/seaweed breakdown from the beaches we visited over the past few weeks:

Great Cruz Bay: no jellies, but a good amount of sargassum and just general murkiness
Honeymoon: none
Caneel Bay: only a couple, no stings
Hawksnest: moderate amount, no stings. Very small amount of sargassum
Gibney: none
Jumbie: lots! And many stings, plus lots of sargassum piled on the beach. Voted worst beach of this trip :x
Trunk: moderate amounts of both moon jellies and the long jellies, no stings
Cinnamon: small amount, no stings
Maho, small to moderate amount, very few stings
Francis: unswimmable. Completely filled with both stinging and non-stinging varieties. Much worse than Jumbie, but could not vote it the worst because I love this beach so much.
Leinster/Waterlemon: none
Hansen: none
Haulover North: too much sargassum to get into the water
Haulover South: none

And our boat trip stops:
Lovongo: none
Little St. James: none
Buck Island: none
the beach at Abi Beach Bar: none
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
loria

Post by loria »

it was strange -- the morning we were at Francis last week -- it was fine-- then later in the day it got much worse... i felt bad since i had texted to Liamsaunt that it wasn't so bad... then it just got unswimmable mary's point was also bad on Thursday . salt pond had nothing, lameshur had nothing.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

How could I have forgotten Lameshur!! We went there twice and there were no jellies either time (but there was a really awesome underwater sighting of a giant manta ray! I have pictures and video if I get around to doing a trip report).

My nephew wanted to stop at Whistling Cay on our boat day and I said no after going to Francis and encountering all those jellies. Sounds like it was the right decision.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

The day we were at Francis and the jellies were like tapioca, we did not get stung as we wore safe sea. My husband is highly allergic to sea lice and suffered no repercussions at any beach. One member of our party had a nasty sting, we used the safe sea after bite and the medicine was more painful than the sting. She had a nasty welt for a few days, and was also bitten/ stung by a scorpion, slipped on some wet steps while touring a villa for her daughters wedding, and had an awning with water on it spilled on her head in a restaurant.
It was her first trip to St John. Despite the mini catastrophes, she really got it!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

In case some folks are heading to St. John soon…

We were on island last week. We ended up having only 5 full days to enjoy the beaches so didn't go to many but, as many have already mentioned, Francis was filled with all sorts of floating creatures. We snorkeled towards Mary Point anyway wearying Safe Sea - I got stung 8-10 times (actually lost count) but my husband got none (he never gets stung for some reason). There were a few to moderate amounts at Maho depending on the day (we went two different days). I saw a few floating at Great Lameshur beyond the point on the left side but never got stung. Hawksnest was clear the day we went.

We were on St. John in June for a couple of weeks and I think the stingers were worse along the north shore then. Well, except for Francis - we always stay on the right side and both stinging and non-stinging kinds were actually denser in August.